Web Ads that are more than Annoying

I wonder if anyone has a solution to this. I have a Windows 7 laptop and Mozilla Firefox is my browser. A certain news site has ads that partially cover the text,
    usually on the entire left side of the web page. There is no obvious option to close the ad except click on the icon to explore the offer further.
    One ad has a moving cockroach and offers a chance to win an ipad if I catch the cockroach, and another add is about Windows errors and getting them fixed.
    I installed a fresh copy of Firefox and the ads did not immediately appear, but came back soon.
    Sometimes the ads will be displayed with annoying blinking.
    I do not have virus protection on my laptop, but I do run a software to clean up malware, privacy issues, registry errors, etc.

The ads do not appear with Internet Explorer.
    Any suggestions on getting rid of intrusive ads with Firefox? The site, which
    in the past included scam teeth whitener offers, is j p o s t . c o m.
    I have read that websites have no control over advertisements on their
    web pages.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by JerryDal; 11-30-13 at 03:20.

The news site that you mention has repeatedly been noted as a source of malware, viruses/Trojans/etc. infections. The site doesn't load the malware directly, so they have no knowledge of it, but the ad brokers that they use allow "drive by downloads" such as the ones that you've noticed... The page performs some operation (like a download or a sensitive setting change) for which Windows requires approval, then the ad leads you to click on the approval (which is buried under their "advertisement" page). You then happily click on the approval, and infect your machine.

I'd avoid that web site, at least until they adopt a less threatening advertising policy.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hello, have you tried the Mozilla Firefox addon called Adblock Plus? It works great for 99% of websites from my experience. Take a look: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/

Thanks, I'll take your advice and look for another source for news
    in the Middle East. Currently several ads are displayed on that site, but
    now they do not cover up the articles. However before I can get access
    to the site, the screen darkens and one large ad pops up with the option
    to skip by clicking on 'skip'. No telling what happens with that click.
    I consider that to be rude and I will not be visiting the site again.

Things have improved with my laptop and web browsing (today! for one
    whole day!). I removed Firefox and downloaded and installed it again.
    Also installed Norton 360 recently. The area of the screen hijacked by
    advertisers on the home page I use is back to normal, for today anyway.

Thanks.