Unanswered: Error on Read Only Record

I have a form with a button to save record (macro) so the reports will have updated info before printing. This works fine but I get errors when that record is set to read only by a checkbox (yes/no) to prevent changes to that record when it is closed.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening and perhaps how to correct it?

Maybe a routine to see if the checkbox is selected first?

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Error Message.png   Error Message 2.png  

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlep View Post

...but I get errors when that record is set to read only...to prevent changes to that record when it is closed...
    A little confusing, as Records aren't 'closed;' Forms are, entire Databases are, but not Records. Rather than doing whatever it is you're doing to make the Record be Read-Only when the Checkbox is ticked, put that code in the Form_Current event, which will prevent changes anytime the Record is re-accessed.

You don't really want a New Record locked before it is saved, as the user may realize that he's made a mistake and want to correct it.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Sorry I wasn't very clear. The form is for a work order and changes are made to the open record. To update the most current changes I put a button to save record (macro). This is so the reports ( I have buttons for these on the form) will have the updated information before printing.

It all seems to work fine until the button for "Save Before Printing" is ticked on a read only record. That is when I get the error.

...changes are made to the open record...

...It all seems to work fine until the button for "Save Before Printing" is ticked on a read only record...
    Sorry, but it's still not clear; how do you make changes to a Read-Only Record? When is the Checkbox being ticked?

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 12-04-13 at 13:25.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

We don't that is why it is set to read only. When a work order is closed (read only) there should not be any changes.

But you just said

...changes are made to the open record. To update the most current changes I put a button to save record (macro). This is so the reports ( I have buttons for these on the form) will have the updated information before printing...
    Hope this helps!