Unanswered: 10.5 BLU on DPF database

Hi
    SAP recently certified usage column based tables in 10.5 FP1 and above for SAP BI.
    Unfortunately our production BI is created as DPF db - so we need to migrate to single node before switching on BLU
    Question - will this restriction be removed in predictable future ? We are quite happy with DPF and do not want to make step back .....
    Anyway we will go to 10.5 shortly - there are a lot of nice features like STMM for all partitions f.e.

Hi,

Rumors say that there'll be support for DPF.
    But there's no Date nor an official Announcement, so it might take a long time.

I am a little skeptical of column based tables on DPF, since it would need to use significant intra-partition parallelism. Most DPF systems only have one or two CPU cores per partition, so CPU would probably be a bottle-neck with column based tables (BLU).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Well we have 64 per 7 partitions .... anyway it's a pity we must choose between DPF and BLU

Quote Originally Posted by DrOzda View Post
    Well we have 64 per 7 partitions .... anyway it's a pity we must choose between DPF and BLU
    From a performance standpoint, you probably be better off with 16 or 32 database partitions with 64 CPU cores. You are usually paying for DB2 based on CPU cores.

Have you tried BLU? Not sure it "always" is faster than row based tables.
    M. A. Feldman

For OLAP system it is a huge improvement , will be faster at least few times than row table. Tested not by me but CocaCola guys, and SAP at this time was not prepared for BLU:
    http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi...M14121USEN.PDF
    We've got SAP OEM db2 license, in version 10.5 it is full AESE with unlimited CPU per db so it is not a problem.

Hi
    SAP recently certified usage column based tables in 10.5 FP1 and above for SAP BI.
    Unfortunately our production BI is created as DPF db - so we need to migrate to single node before switching on BLU
    Question - will this restriction be removed in predictable future ? We are quite happy with DPF and do not want to make step back .....
    Anyway we will go to 10.5 shortly - there are a lot of nice features like STMM for all partitions f.e.
    hi, DrOzda
    I am quite curiously about why you want to upgrade your db to 10.5 fp1(blu) if you are quite happy with dpf.
    and Are there any evidence that proves the performace of blu is better than dpf when given the same hardware resource?

Well we are quite happy with DPF so migrating to single node is not an option now. But if DPF will accept BLU we will go in that direction. Our server is quite good for that (256 GB RAM and 64 cores (threads)) so why don't try new technology. Got some experience with SAP BWA accelerator and Sybase database utilising InMemory technology and i must say it is luckily or not future for at least LUW dbs.
    But it is not one week project , we must upgrade SAP BI application , possibly expand RAM to 0,5 TB then upgrade to 10.5 with fixpack that will allow BLU on DPF (or wait to version 11 (?) )

For OLAP system it is a huge improvement , will be faster at least few times than row table. Tested not by me but CocaCola guys, and SAP at this time was not prepared for BLU:
    http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi...M14121USEN.PDF
    We've got SAP OEM db2 license, in version 10.5 it is full AESE with unlimited CPU per db so it is not a problem.
    I don't think any of those companies were comparing BLU to DPF when they said BLU runs X times faster.

As I said before, you should have at least 16 DPF partitions based on the number of CPU's you currently have, which pretty much guarantees that queries will run 16x faster tham a single node (non-BLU). Granted BLU with column based tables will usually run X times faster than a single node with row based tables, but will it really beat DPF? Maybe for cubes on smaller datamarts, but maybe not.
    M. A. Feldman