Unanswered: Failed Parameter Query

Hey everyone,

I am trying to run the following query:

SELECT qryReserveLocations.Aisle, qryReserveLocations.Bay, qryReserveLocations.Level, qryReserveLocations.Item_Number, tblItemMaster.Description, tblItemMaster.Size, tblItemMaster.BPC, qryReserveLocations.Actual_Units, [Actual_Units]/[BPC] AS Cases
    FROM tblItemMaster INNER JOIN qryReserveLocations ON tblItemMaster.[Item Number] = qryReserveLocations.Item_Number
    WHERE ((([Actual_Units]/[BPC])=[Enter Qty Parameter]));
    The part that fails is in bold. If i put [Actual_Units]/[BPC])=<5 it will work but I'd like to have the user enter what they want to see which is why I put the parameter in there. I've never tried this before and I'm not entirely sure its possible. I should say that the results with the parameter come up blank but if i put the actually value in the where statement it returns data.

Modify your SQL by adding the following statement at the beginning and try it out:

Code:
    PARAMETERS [Enter Qty Parameter] Long;
    SELECT qryReserveLocations.Aisle, qryReserveLocations.Bay, qryReserveLocations.Level, qryReserveLocations.Item_Number, tblItemMaster.Description, tblItemMaster.Size, tblItemMaster.BPC, qryReserveLocations.Actual_Units, [Actual_Units]/[BPC] AS Cases
    FROM tblItemMaster INNER JOIN qryReserveLocations ON tblItemMaster.[Item Number] = qryReserveLocations.Item_Number
    WHERE ((([Actual_Units]/[BPC])=[Enter Qty Parameter]));
    www.MsAccessTips.com (Learn MS-Access Tips & Tricks)
    Learn Advanced MS-Access Programming with sample VBA Code.

All responses are based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you!

This almost worked. Im able to enter any random number in there but im not able to put in say <5 or <=5

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrch View Post
    but im not able to put in say <5 or <=5
    A parameter is always a value. < or <= are comparison operators.

You need to consider creating the query dynamically if you need this feature.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    to create it dynamically either write the query to the querydefs collection
    OR write it within a form or report where its going to be used
    OR consider using a filter

personally I try to avoid letting users enter unvalidated parameters in queries
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you guys! Appreciate the new information i'll now store away. I think you are right, i'll leave it at a set number and as they need it changed i'll just go in and change it. It will be a rare enough occasion it needs to be changed its not a big deal. I really appreciate the help.