Thread: Database design

Database design

I am making a webapplication for a copany. The need an easy way to input and edit information instead of the excel spread sheet they are using now.

For every new company they make a new spreadsheet (copy it) that contains 10 columns and 69 rows.

I could put all costumers into one database.

Should i put all costumers in one database table? With 2 costumers the database table would already contain 138 rows.

Should i make a table for every row of the spreadsheet table? I would get 69 database tables. One for every row of the spreadsheet.

Should i make a table for every costumer?

spreadsheets and databases can both store data, but you need to switch from a spreadsheet mentality to a database mentality.

before doing anything you should get a firm grip on why you shoudl be using a database, what relations database design is about and why you shoudl normalise your data

but as a starter
    relational db's use tables, which contain columns, tables contain data in rows
    the aim is to have discrete tables cotnaing information about different elements of the data
    so you'd have a single table for all customers
    as to other tables, thats down to the 10 columns and 69 rows, that needs analysing to work out what the data is what it belongs to and so on.

in the mean time
    Fundamentals of Relational Database Design -- r937.com
    and
    The Relational Data Model, Normalisation and effective Database Design
    are worth a read
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Very usefull. Thank you very much

stargate

That is one eary looking emoticon.

Most databases can easily handle thousands of records with (usually) no impact on performance.

It is generally accepted that if the contents of the 10 columns are same for the same row number across all customers, then it's easier for future data extraction, compilation etc to have all the data in one table.

This table would have 12 columns, the 10 original columns and one more for each of customer code and row number.

OK