Unanswered: can I still upgrade?

Hi,

Our company has SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard. We'd like to upgrade to 2008 R2 Enterprise in order to take advantage of SQL Auditing.

Can I still do this? Or do I have to go to SQL Server 2012 Enterprise? (Of course, our rep is quoting us for SQL Server 2012 Enterprise)

If it is possible to stay with 2008 R2, where would I buy the upgrade?

TIA,
    Joanne

Provided Answers: 54
    Licensing is probably my weakest point in SQL Server knowledge, but you've got a difficult problem.

At least as far as I know, Microsoft never had an "Edition upgrade" SKU for SQL 2008 R2. To upgrade Standard to Enterprise you just bought a new Enterprise License, then re-used the Standard license.

My guess would be that you'd buy a SQL 2012 Enterprise license, and then call Microsoft to get a "grandfather" exception and a license key for SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise.

The problem is that the license fee for SQL 2012 Enterprise is SO much higher than for SQL 2008 R2, this is probably cost prohibitive.

If you work with an aggregator (such as a Data Center), they might be able to help you with another client who is retiring a SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise license. If not, you might consider engaging an "escrow agent" who will broker the sale of a used copy of SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise for you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 54
    For what it is worth, I've found a vendor that will still sell SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, and know of another one that might still sell it. This could save you many thousands of dollars due to the difference in cost between SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2012 Enterprise.

I won't inundate them by posting their contact information, but there are a few vendors that seem to still be willing to sell it if you look for them.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks, Pat. I was afraid of that.
    I've found the Enterprise version for 2008 R2 for sale, but was hoping for an upgrade path that would be even cheaper.
    Thanks for your help,
    Joanne