Unanswered: Problems with ODBC Access - SQL

Hi,

I have an urgent issue with the following setup:

We are running a factotum homemade program, that only reads data from Access databases. During the years our data has moved to SQL and the collection of data for our software has been achieved through a ODBC connection. So far so good.

Now we had to move our servers to the main company and the time it takes for our software to receive the data is slowing down the process significantly.

Is there a way to avoid that consulting the Access database always causes an update check through ODBC to SQL? I am thinking of a solution where just push a button to update the Access database whenever you are running out of fresh data.

Any hint on that?
    Regards,
    Martin

Provided Answers: 59
    running out of fresh data.. sorry I don't understand that....
    if you are using ODBC, then I assume you are using pass through queries to handle the data, and not running ANY queries locally, unless they are on local copies of the data. I also assume you are using unbound controls and detached recordsources

I assume by using SQl you mean 'SQL Server', there are so many databases that support SQL.

A properly designed Access application should not be significantly slower when moving from a local server to a remote server, assuming the connection to the remote system is fast enough and wide enough.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

running out of fresh data means... the guy that uses that software works on data that regards not the latest orders, but data that had been inserted in the system at least a day before. Therefore it is not necessary to check all the time for new data, which slows down the process.

There aren't any queries running locally. Just columns being fed 1:1 from SQL tables.

If I do a 1:1 copy of the access database contents -untying from ODBC connection- than the performance is significantly better. This made me think of the described solution I wonder would be possible in Access.

Clearer now?