Provided Answers: 10

Unanswered: date vs datetime

Hi all,

Quite a broad question but it occurred to me today that I don't know the answer.

Is there a performance impact (if so, how great is it) when comparing a date to a datetime data type?

An educated guess suggests yes, as there will be a type casting... but then again I don't believe there's an issue when comparing an int to a tinyint and there's an assumption these would play by the same rules?

This has only come about because I'm considering changing the data type used in my standard calendar script and this popped in to my head.

Will happily accept one word answers
    George
    Home | Blog

Why? .....

Provided Answers: 11
    Depends.....

Provided Answers: 11
    OK, I guess I can give a longer answer. The problem comes about when you have implicit conversions. In earlier versions of SQL Server (< SQL 2005), the rule was the argument with the lesser domain would be converted to the datatype of the argument with the greater domain. So, if you compared an nvarchar value vs a varchar value, the varchar value would be converted to an nvarchar. Even if that meant converting a column of millions of values.

Things have changed, and it appears that the system tries to convert the scalar value much more often, even if it breaks the previous rule. Observe (tested on SQL 2012)

Code:
    create table test1
    (col1 int,
     col2 date,
     col3 datetime)

declare @i int = 0

while @i < 10000
       begin
         insert into test1
    	 values (@i, getdate() + @i, getdate() + @i)

set @i += 1
       end

create index ind2 on test1 (col2)
    create index ind3 on test1 (col3)

declare @test2 date
    declare @test3 datetime

select @test2 = getdate(), @test3 = getdate()

select *
    from test1
    where col3 = @test2

select *
    from test1
    where col2 = @test3
    The test plans for both select * queries are the same (albeit with different indexes), but there is no implicit conversion. Both will give no results, too, so when the date column is compared to an argument with a greater domain (datetime), the system is not just truncating the time portion off of the scalar value to make things fit.

I think this also works for bigint-int-smallint comparisons, as well. I remember clearly when I tried to show why a developer should have his datatypes agree, my standard demonstration script gave me quite unexpected results. I have not tested recently with varchar vs nvarchar. That is left as an exercise for the interested reader.
    Last edited by MCrowley; 12-18-13 at 14:38. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Provided Answers: 54
    For comparison purposes (scalar versus scalar) the difference is trivial on all but the smallest hardware.

If the type conversion happens to invalidate an important index used by a seek or a join, then the difference can be catastrophic. I tried to create a simple example of this and failed, which means I have something else to entertain me some evening!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 10
    Cheers guys. Have been dragged off on to other work today so will have a play with this tomorrow (hopefully!).
    George
    Home | Blog