Unanswered: Need SSIS help - migrate Informix table

Hello ... I am seeking some help to migrate an Informix table (and eventually an entire database) to MS SQL Server 2012. This is my first experience using SSIS. I started off using the SSIS Import/Export Wizard to create a package. I was actually able to successfully copy a table, but it just didn't copy all the data. It skipped all the data that was in string columns. It created the columns with the proper datatype in the destination table, it just didn't copy the data. The other columns all copied properly. So can anyone tell me if there is something special I need to do to get the string column data to copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

PS. I also posted this in the Informix group.

Provided Answers: 54
    What error messages (if any) were posted when you ran the package?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

No error message ... it says the package execution completed with success.

Provided Answers: 10
    Are the column mappings set up? Don't assume that they will always be done automatically
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by gvee View Post
    Are the column mappings set up? Don't assume that they will always be done automatically
    Honestly I'm not sure. This is my first experience doing this. Can you explain how I would set the column mappings?

Provided Answers: 54
    The import wizard allows you to define a data source, then a destination, then the mapping between the two. On that third card where it shows the source name and the destination name, there's a button that allows you to see how the data will be copied.

When working with Informix, the problem that I see most often is that the column sizes don't match when the definitions are created (Informix columns tend to be quite large in my clients' environments and SQL Server columns default to 50 characters). This inhibits a one to one match, and frequently causes the import to ignore the character columns.

I remember seeing a short article describing some of the common Data Wizard problems when dealing with Informix. It might be in the Microsoft documentation for migrating from Informix, which I think is only on the web now. I'll see if I can find it for you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    ...On that third card where it shows the source name and the destination name, there's a button that allows you to see how the data will be copied.
    Can you clarify this for me? I'm not sure what you mean by "third card". On the Data Flow tab I have 3 components ... a Source, a Data Conversion & a Destination. I'm assuming the Data Conversion is the one I need to be concerned with?

Perhaps this might be a clue ... when I go through the wizard it says:

[Source Information]
    Cannot locate the mapping file to map the provider types to SSIS types

Can someone tell me what this means & how to remedy?