Question Need advice on VIN decoder

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have no experience with software development, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I am looking to create a vin decoder to add to my companies website as an additional service to members.

The company i work for inspects used cars and gives them certifications that is accepted by the authorities. As an additional service to members (dealerships and used car lots) we want to add a vin decoder to our website for the members section.

We need a software that decodes a VIN, basically just gives the information that is encrypted in the VIN. According to my research the VIN is a standardized 17-character serial number where each character signifies something unique to a specific vehicle.

As of now we do not need it linked to any database, but after members feedback we might need to link the decoder to a database of all the cars registered in the country.

Any advice on how to go about getting something like this developed or somewhere i could just buy the software, cause according to my research and knowledge it's a standard algorithm to decode the 17-character VIN.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

VIN numbers are not standardised across the globe, many free web hosted services are inaccurate, they are fine for most of the vehicles for the host nation of the person who designed that application but fail to decode many vehicles from outside that host nation. VIN decoders are especially bad at motorbikes and vehicles produced in small numbers.

The commercially available packages are better, but not perfect.

if you do a search on this forum or google you shoudl find plenty of resources
    one of the issues is that eithint he VIN standard there is scope for flexibility for indiviudla manufactuers

Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia identifies some of the complexity invovled. if all you are after is the country it was made and the unique ID (characters 1..3 and 10..17 then you should be OK, the main problem is that chars 4..9 often trip up decoders as the 'vehicle attriubutes' section is most manufactuer specific, and sometimes are not standard within the same organsiation.

also bear in mind that the check digits embedded in US VIN numbers are applicable (IIRC only) to US manufactured vehicles
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that VIN's were standardized globally.

As of now I'm looking to get something very basic. For instance, if you were to use carfax or any other vehicle history check site, once you enter the VIN it gives you very basic info: Make, Model, Year, thats it.

I'm looking to get something like that. I don't need the detailed specifics like no. of seats, engine size etc.

Is there anywhere i can buy that software, and would that be standardized globally?

As for the future, if and when we do need to link it to a database, I'm guessing the VIN number itself will be searched on the database without being decoded. But that's still something we are not interested in right now. We just need something very basic as i mentioned.

If you can point me in the right direction i would be highly grateful.

Thanks

there is an ISO standard, which tries to bring varies threads together, biut there is not a single standard. The problem seems to be down to the way the USA handles VIN numbers.
    Make & build year should be quite easy they are standard elements, however the model number may not be, it all depends,tthere are national and manufacturer opt outs.

as to whetrher there is a good package to buy off the shelf... I don't know. you'd be best off doing your wone research and identify a suitable product if available
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton