Unanswered: Can connect to reports database

Hello I am having an issue on our test server, trying to connect to the report server database but I keep getting this message. I can connect to the database engine. Can anyone help?? not sure whats wrong

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: Source: ID: (SQL Server ) - Events And Errors Message Center: Message Details

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. (rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable) (Report Services SOAP Proxy Source)

For help, click: Source: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities. ErrorStrings ID: rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable (SQL Server Reporting Services 10.0.5512.0) - Events And Errors Message Center: Message Details

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. (rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable) (ReportingServicesLibrary)

For help, click: Source: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities. ErrorStrings ID: rsReportServerDatabaseUnavailable (SQL Server Reporting Services 10.0.5512.0) - Events And Errors Message Center: Message Details

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) () (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

BUTTONS:

OK

Provided Answers: 54
    On a new reporting server, odds are good that there's a configuration issue on the server itself. A common problem is upgrading to a new server and not changing the server names.

If it is a server and report that you've been using for some time, it is either a network or a permissions issue. A network error is when the reporting server can't communicate with the database server. A permissions issue is when the account used to access the data for the report has been deleted, had its password changed, or had its permissions within the database changed.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you Pat I appreciate it. How are you did you get the message I sent you?? Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    On a new reporting server, odds are good that there's a configuration issue on the server itself. A common problem is upgrading to a new server and not changing the server names.

If it is a server and report that you've been using for some time, it is either a network or a permissions issue. A network error is when the reporting server can't communicate with the database server. A permissions issue is when the account used to access the data for the report has been deleted, had its password changed, or had its permissions within the database changed.

-PatP

Ok all fixed I got report server to work now, that was a challenge but it was good. Had to change settings in Reporting Services configuration Management, was pointing to the wrong server.