Unanswered: Oracle - restoring from ArchiveLog

Hey guys, am completely new to oracle and I'm planning for a backup/recovery in case of a db failure occurs. My question is that would restoring from archivelog need a full db backup to be loaded first(am comparing it to MS SQL DB servers) before loading the logs?..

Thank you in advance, your replies would really help.

Provided Answers: 54
    To quote an old friend: Backups aren't important, restores are important. Your backups exist to support your restores. The best answer is to figure out what you think you need, then TEST, and RE-TEST that strategy!

A backup that you can't restore is a waste of media, time, and everything else associated with that backup. Work out a plan, then test it!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Oracle works very similar to SQL Server in this respect. You need to restore the full backup before you can apply the archive logs.

Thanks Guys.. actually I'm a newbie to the oracle environment and am usually handling Sybase and MS SQL servers..

Yes dear, You need to consider full database backup before archive logs backups.
    SHARING KNOWLEDGE IS ULTIMATE KEY TO GAINING KNOWLEDGE...
    dbatricksworld.com