Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Questions before buying Brilliant Ultimate

I am currently using Brilliant Database Professional and may be purchasing Brilliant Ultimate in the very near future. Before delving into the Ultimate version, I have some questions and I am looking for some guidance from those who have gone before me and have some advice for the usage of the Ultimate version.

1.) Is there something special that someone has to define about their name when first purchasing Brilliant Ultimate? I seem to remember a thread from long ago where someone had to contact Brilliant for a new key because their newly purchased software arrived with a wrong/incomplete name. If so, what information should I have in hand before taking this leap?

2). Can a single registered user of Ultimate install it on only one computer or can it be placed on their desktop AND laptop?

3). What happens if the computer that you have Ultimate loaded on breaks or is replaced by a newer system? Can you get another key so from Brilliant Database in the event that you have replaced your computer?

4). How difficult (yes, I realize that this is very ambiguous) is it to make a server version on one's program? Do you typically do the install and configuration at the end users site for the project that you have made or do the internal employees set all of this up after receiving their project from you?
    Daryl G

1.) Is there something special that someone has to define about their name when first purchasing Brilliant Ultimate? I seem to remember a thread from long ago where someone had to contact Brilliant for a new key because their newly purchased software arrived with a wrong/incomplete name. If so, what information should I have in hand before taking this leap?
    Special characters from some languages are not supportet. GB ANSI Characters are OK.

2). Can a single registered user of Ultimate install it on only one computer or can it be placed on their desktop AND laptop?
    Check with Mikhail.

3). What happens if the computer that you have Ultimate loaded on breaks or is replaced by a newer system? Can you get another key so from Brilliant Database in the event that you have replaced your computer?
    No new key is required. No online product activation so far. You need only all files and folders from the database you have created. The database encyption (must be selected) encrypts the database structure. If you loose the original files AND folder from this database - nobody can help...

4). How difficult (yes, I realize that this is very ambiguous) is it to make a server version on one's program? Do you typically do the install and configuration at the end users site for the project that you have made or do the internal employees set all of this up after receiving their project from you?
    Uhh - totaly difficult:
    - Enable Users
    - Add the server mode (can be selected/unselected)
    - feel happy

Its not so difficult. No need to go to customer side - exept they pay for and it is a nice location...

lostdb,
    Thanks. I believe that I can do all of that! I have been waiting over three weeks for a new key for v10.5 (I purchased v9.42 in February of last year) under the free upgrade for one year program from Brilliant Database... this is becoming frustrating and after contacting them on numerous occasions and I still cannot get the key. It is poor customer service like this that ABSOLUTELY kills their business.
    Daryl G

If you have a Facebook account you can leave him a message there.

Provided Answers: 17
    To put my own wee Irish wording on a reply....

1.) Is there something special that someone has to define about their name when first purchasing Brilliant Ultimate?
    If my memory serves me well, I ran into this problem too and had to request a new key when I bought my first ever copy of the SDK. There is something funny I believe about the Company name field when making your purchase. If you leave it empty your applications are displayed as compiled by ….. nobody.

Needless to say, you want your Personal name added to that field if your not a company, or your company name.

I'll put it this way....

I paid my dues and purchased a licence for what is very expensive software. However, I own two computer that I work from. So hell yeah, I'm going to install what I paid for on my two machines without paying twice. It's not like I can be in two different places at the same time, or that anyone else is using my computers.

There is no activation method that depends on brilliant database, so you can remove and install your copy of brilliant database at will and activate is as many times as you want on your PC.

In the SDK when compiling, you simply leave ticked the options you want the compiled application to have. So in this case, “Share Database” will be left enabled so you can install your first copy of the program on the server.

So you install the EXE on the server, and you go to file and share. Select an IP and port number.

Then you share the same exe with all the users you want to be able to access the database. It's installed on their computer and to access the database, they connect to the Network database using the IP you selected on the server.

It's pretty straight forward. If you don't understand from what I said, you will figure it out in seconds on your own when in front of a PC.

Regards
    James

James,
    Your response to question number 1 was exactly the the one I was vaguely remembering. Unfortunately, with all the questions I have asked and you great people have answered has caused growth to the size of the forum and I cannot simply search the mere three pages of posts that were here when I first joined dbforums!

Brilliant Database is a unique 'creature' and I am happy to say that things are making much more sense to me now that with my previous attempt. I had been a hardcore Visual Basic for Applications programmer and the Brilliant Database method of scripting is VASTLY different from anything I have ever seen. Once I made it over that hurdle (thanks to the helpful individuals here), I am truly 'off and running' with Brilliant Database.
    Daryl G

I have a few more questions for the owners of Ultimate:

1). If queries were used in the program, are there any methods available when compiling that prohibit the end user from accessing these queries and possibly messing them up? I have seen the checkbox for 'Don't show the queries in the Query menu' under the 'Misc' field under the 'Query Editor'; however, when I check that field I cannot see that anything has changed and the query is still present just as before... so apparently I do not understand the use of that.

2). Can the end user of a compiled program right click on a folder and delete it? I hope that this functionality is NOT available as it could wreck havoc on the program that they are attempting to us.

3). Does the owner of BD Ultimate have any control over what commands are present in the compiled version's toolbar?
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl

1). If queries were used in the program, are there any methods available when compiling that prohibit the end user from accessing these queries and possibly messing them up? I have seen the checkbox for 'Don't show the queries in the Query menu' under the 'Misc' field under the 'Query Editor'; however, when I check that field I cannot see that anything has changed and the query is still present just as before... so apparently I do not understand the use of that.
    Yes, click on the Design menu. Then click on “Application Project Settings”. Now go to the Features Tab. You will see an option to remove menu's, one of which is queries.

It's also wise to click on Design, then Tool Bar and remove everything there too that you don't want the end user to access.

2). Can the end user of a compiled program right click on a folder and delete it? I hope that this functionality is NOT available as it could wreck havoc on the program that they are attempting to us.
    No, there is no option to delete a folder when you right click in a compiled application. You can also right click on the folder, go to properties and pervent them from even deleting records by using the Del key if you like. So the only way to delete something is if you script it, and give them a menu or button to click.

3). Does the owner of BD Ultimate have any control over what commands are present in the compiled version's toolbar?
    Yes you have full control, but as I mentioned above, you should remove the entire tool bar.

When you go to “Design” and “Application Project Settings” you will have lots of options for what an end user can do. It will all make perfect sense when you see this features tab.

Regards
    James

James,
    Thanks. Is there a separate User's Manual for the Ultimate version or is everything contained within a single manual that covers all versions? I have 'Brilliant Database v9 User Guide' as a PDF on my computer - is this the latest User Guide that is available or has a newer one been released? If a newer one is available, where do I need to go to get it?
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl.

I would assume there's a separate manual as the SDK has a lot of functionality that none of the other editions have.

Don't know if you can open the attached file, but here's the manual yanked right out of the brilliant database install folder of my PC.

Regards
    James
    Attached Files Attached Files

James,
    Yes, I could open that file. I have saved it because it is certainly more up to date than the generic v9 version that I was using.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G