Question database for a tennis league

hey all, new to the forum (and databases) looking for some help if poss!

i'm trying to design a database for a local tennis league. i'm really having trouble trying to define the entities to get started in the design.

it needs to have the following:

- the league table/ladder which is divided into divisions
    - ability to record games within divisions, in 3 set format and the winner and loser, also if a player doesn't show up the other guy automatically wins.
    -fixtures (past and future)
    -personal details of members
    -staff members (who are made up of members)
    -registration details

the tables/entities i've come up with are:
    -members
    -matches
    -division
    -registration details (staff members/fees paid?/etc.)

i think once i'm sure of the entities i can carry on but i'm not at all sure. the member to match relationship is a many to many so mysql is creating another entity (members_matches) to create 2 one to many relationships.

any help would be greatly appreciated as i've been stuck on this for a long time.

thanks,
    tom

Which match structure and scoring system does your league use? There are considerable differences between the league structure, match scoring, player ranking, etc. for leagues in North America, Europe, and Asia.

The international schema is complex due to the need to support all of the differences between the continents. It will be a lot easier to deal with a single structure.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Here is an interesting Data Model

Quote Originally Posted by soprano View Post
    hey all, new to the forum (and databases) looking for some help if poss!

i'm trying to design a database for a local tennis league. i'm really having trouble trying to define the entities to get started in the design.

it needs to have the following:

- the league table/ladder which is divided into divisions
    - ability to record games within divisions, in 3 set format and the winner and loser, also if a player doesn't show up the other guy automatically wins.
    -fixtures (past and future)
    -personal details of members
    -staff members (who are made up of members)
    -registration details

the tables/entities i've come up with are:
    -members
    -matches
    -division
    -registration details (staff members/fees paid?/etc.)

i think once i'm sure of the entities i can carry on but i'm not at all sure. the member to match relationship is a many to many so mysql is creating another entity (members_matches) to create 2 one to many relationships.

any help would be greatly appreciated as i've been stuck on this for a long time.

thanks,
    tom
    Take a look at this Data Model for Tennis Club Management on my Database Answers Web Site :-
    Tennis Club Management Data Model

HTH

Barry