Question Unanswered: Are there any good reasons to define a date column as a string (varchar2) type?

I am designing the data model of an application, and I remember that I've seen in previous jobs that data columns were defined as string types, not as dates. The reason for this is not clear - it seems it may be simpler to sort by date columns at the Presentation Layer (C#, for instance. Just a simple string sort (using the format YYYYMMDD).

But thinking about it makes me wonder what can be so bad in opting for DATE type, instead. Sorting should not be a problem, not at the DB side, not at the front-end (would only need to convert the column to DateTime there and that's it...)

Any insights on should be better?

Thanks
    Last edited by 435 Gavea; 01-19-14 at 04:35.

Oracle® Database SQL Language Reference 11g Release 2 (11.2)
    -> 19 SQL Statements: SAVEPOINT to UPDATE -> SELECT

order_by_clause

expr expr orders rows based on their value for expr. The expression is based on
    columns in the select list or columns in the tables, views, or materialized views in the
    FROM clause.
    Orders can be specified based on columns in tables as well as based on columns in select list, whichever meet your requirement.
    So, sort order might be not the reason to use string type.

Provided Answers: 5
    I don't see any valid reason to store date values into anything but DATE (or, optionally, TIMESTAMP) datatype columns.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Are there any good reasons to define a date column as a string (varchar2) type?
    only amateur or fools store DATE as string or number.
    DATE datatype ensures that only valid data is stored as a column value.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 59
    and just to add to Anacedent's pithy observation, using the correct datatype to represent temporal values means you can use Oracles built in date/time functions
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 54
    Using one datatype to store values from another datatype (such as using a string to store a date) provides great opportunity for consultants and hardware vendors. The database will perform poorly compared to expectations and equivalent databases that use the appropriate types, so this creates an endless source of opportunities for consultants and salespeople!

There is no benefit to using an inappropriate data type for the user or the client, but it provides all kinds of opportunities for others!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Using one datatype to store values from another datatype (such as using a string to store a date) provides great opportunity for consultants and hardware vendors. The database will perform poorly compared to expectations and equivalent databases that use the appropriate types, so this creates an endless source of opportunities for consultants and salespeople!

There is no benefit to using an inappropriate data type for the user or the client, but it provides all kinds of opportunities for others!

-PatP
    +1 (thankfully!)

There are no any good reasons to do so.
    SHARING KNOWLEDGE IS ULTIMATE KEY TO GAINING KNOWLEDGE...
    dbatricksworld.com