Unanswered: Is this possible?

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to Access and Database design, so I apologize in advance if I have my terminology wrong.

I am an embryologist at a fertility clinic in Edmonton, AB. We (I) want to design my own database to manage our ivf cycle data as the hospital will not pay for a commercial database. I am working with Access 2000...

So, what I want to do, first, is have a Cycle Summary table with the IVF Cycle ID number as the primary Key. IN the first table I will enter the patient data, and other information related specific to that cycle.

In the next table/form I will enter oocyte retrieval information again I would like to use the initial CYCLE ID as the Primary Key.

For a double check on data validation to make sure my team is entering the correct data, is there a way on the Oocyte Retrieval Form to enter the cycle ID and have it display the patient information so I know I am entering the correct data?

Table One - Demographics
    Table Two - Oocyte Retrieval

Both use IVFCYCLEID Number as primary key. When I enter cycle ID on the form for table two, I want patient name and number from table one to display on the form as a double check.

So, if this is possible - how can I do this?

Provided Answers: 6
    Is this what you're after?

Autofill
    Paul

yes I think so!

Now, any tips on how to implement? Again, access newbie here.

Use the combo wizard to add a combo on the form, including the necessary fields. Use the formula to refer to the appropriate columns in the combo.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Use the combo wizard to add a combo on the form, including the necessary fields. Use the formula to refer to the appropriate columns in the combo.
    Got it and works brilliantly. Thanks. Now, is there a way to do this without a combo box? I would rather a text box (or something) to type in cycle ID and it pulls the data.

Sure, but then you need to do the work of making sure the value entered exists, pulling the data from the table, etc. You can use a DLookup or open a recordset, either way using the value entered in the criteria.

General: DLookup Usage Samples
    Paul