Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Difficulty in obtaining new registration key for v10.5

I purchased Brilliant Database Professional on February 19, 2013. After reading good things about the newest release, I wanted to upgrade to v10.5. As I was still within the one-year free upgrade window I contacted Brilliant Database using their 'Upgrade Form' first back in December 2013. Since then I have attempted to contact Brilliant Database on multiple occasions - using the upgrade form, using the support E-mail form, using the support E-mail address, and using Tom Rockford's E-mail from the confirmation E-mail I received after purchasing Brilliant Database. It has been over three weeks and I cannot get Brilliant Database to supply the registration key. I have eight days remaining on the 'trial version'...

Have any others experienced great difficulty in obtaining a new key during the one-year free upgrade period? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to assist in obtaining the new registration key?
    Daryl G

Normally they are very prompt in relation to registration queries.Good luck!

Provided Answers: 17
    I know a lovely gentleman who's been in business for 40 years as a barber and he always says the same thing. Look after your customers and the business will look after itself.

Regards
    James

Something is not right here... I put in another E-mail account (an active account of mine but NOT the one I used when ordering Brilliant Database) and I immediately received an E-mail from Brilliant Database stating that there were no orders associated with the supplied E-mail address. Yet when I use the E-mail address I actually used when I purchased BD, I NEVER receive any E-mail (yes, I checked my spam filter and it is not there). I saved the original confirmation notification when I purchased BD last February so I know that it is all valid.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 54
    Consider this post as ramblings from an interested bystander.

Based on what I've seen over about a year of observing this forum, Brilliant Database (specifically Mikhail) seems to go through a cycle of no attention, intense customer service, and intense technical development. There has been a lot of technical development recently, so I suspect that either Mikhail is working feverishly on code or he may have transitioned into whatever he does when apparently paying no attention to Brilliant.

I've never had any direct interaction with Mikhail, but he seems to fit a type of Eastern European developer that is a genius at some things but not nearly as good at others. With the right support organization, Mikhail could be amazing and Brilliant could be a stellar product. At least right now and from my point of view, they seem to have hit a rough spot.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    Something is not right here... I put in another E-mail account (an active account of mine but NOT the one I used when ordering Brilliant Database) and I immediately received an E-mail from Brilliant Database stating that there were no orders associated with the supplied E-mail address. Yet when I use the E-mail address I actually used when I purchased BD, I NEVER receive any E-mail (yes, I checked my spam filter and it is not there). I saved the original confirmation notification when I purchased BD last February so I know that it is all valid.
    That may indicate BD have an automated email handler. Emails that dont pass the handker get an automatic and immediate response. Those that do go somewhere else to be handled manually.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem,
    That makes sense but apparently no one is checking those manually because there is a massive stack of E-mails just from me... well, maybe someone is checking but no one is responding. I did get one E-mail from Mikhail asking me to submit my request to the 'Upgrade Request' page (which I had already done numerous times and have done a multitude of times since) - no response yet. I only have seven days remaining on this trial version (which means that I have been trying to get the upgrade key for just the last 22 days! This lack of action and response from Brilliant Database will certainly cause me to reconsider my pending decision on purchasing Brilliant Ultimate.
    Daryl G

Are we allowed to post his facebook here?

I wouldn't post anything like FaceBook URLS, personal email addresses, etc. That will just aggravate the situation and there's very little chance that it will actually help anyone.

What might be useful would be for someone to POLITELY let Mikhail know that there is something here that needs his attention, and ask him where/how it should be addressed. My guess is that he's unaware of the problem or at least of the scope of the problem.

Hounding anyone is a pointless exercise. All that it can do is make them defensive. If you try to help by either communicating, contributing, or at least commiserating over time you will get much better results (both for you and the person/group you are trying to motivate).

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I would certainly appreciate it if someone would politely notify Mikhail about this issue. As of this morning, the trial version countdown clock is showing only six days remaining. I am hesitant about E-mailing them any more as the pure volume of requests I have already sent is slowing their system down... plus, this action is getting no results.

If I knew how else to contact Brilliant Database I certainly would pursue that course of action. In fact, I did not even want to post anything about this issue but since I was getting no results by going the proper course, I wanted to see if any others had experienced the same problem.

The last thing that I want to cause is any problem for anyone... all I want is the free one year upgrade registration key!
    Daryl G

Update!!! I searched for Mikhail this morning and came across another one of his websites (Binary Brilliant). I used that E-mail address (it was different from the support@brilliantdatabase.com that I had been using) to contact them and explained the difficulty I was experiencing with getting a new key. I received an E-mail from Mikhail shortly thereafter with the new registration key. ALL IS GOOD!!!!
    Daryl G

Very good! I'm glad to know that Mikhail responded and that you're happy again.

I really think that Mikhail means well, but could use some help in some areas.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 17
    ALL IS GOOD!!!!
    Phew...!!!!

Mikhail clearly has a passion and ability to write awesome code and create a great product. I'd love to see some investor help out on the other things and take all this to the next level.

Brilliant Database is damn good software and should have a very bright future if certain "issues" with support were fixed and there was proper marketing done.

Here's to the hope that 2014 is a good year for Brilliant Database. Cheers.
    James.

James,
    I would like to add another comment to what you said about the software. When I first started using Brilliant Database last year, I had some MAJOR difficulties with using Brilliant Database (yet the great folks here assisted me whenever I had problems)... most of this issue was probably with my previous experience with Visual Basic and Brilliant Database scripting is MUCH, MUCH different. After a several month hiatus, I picked it up again and I am amazed at what the software can do. The usability of this software is quite amazing! I second the proclamation for a wonderful 2014 for Brilliant Database!
    Daryl G