Unanswered: Counting Unique Records For All Groups

Hello All,

I am trying to find the best way to sum the count of all records that appear across multiple groups.

To explain what I am trying to achieve we may have two groups in a report that both contain the same record, i.e.

Order 1
    Part A
    Part B
    Part C

Order 2
    Part A
    Part B
    Part D

I am attempting to generate a total at the report footer, that will contain a summary to the effect of:

Part A: 2
    Part B: 2
    Part C: 1
    Part D: 1

When looking at our order history, I am attempting to see how many times Part A occurs with Part B on the same order. Because of this I have grouped the information by the order number record and used a selection criteria, this prevents me simply grouping around the part number field and using a count.

I could use a formula and manually enter a sum if part = A, however I'm trying to evaluate against approximately 10,000 records (different part numbers), so that would be prohibitive.

Manually I have exported the report without a total to Excel, and used Excel's Data Validation to show only unique records, and then use a COUNTIF statement to generate this information, however it is a manual process and would like to achieve a result inside Crystal Reports.

Is this possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't mind being advised to research certain topics if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 54
    Without knowing more about your Crystal Reports version and the structures of both your data and your report, I can't offer you a good opinion.

If your version of Crystal supports sub-reports, then that's likely to be the easiest answer. Just create the sub-report of part counts (as simply as possible, little or no formatting) and include the sub-report in your current report footer.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.