Unanswered: Database won't close

I'm having some problems closing my database. I've had it stored locally on my computer but this week I dropped it on our server at work. Now it seems when I close the db it doesn't really close. When I try to reopen the db it won't open up. I've had to go into the "task manager" anc close it from there. Doing this does allow me to open it back up. But then the same thing happens again, it won't close. Back to task manager and open again. This continues.
    Is there something I can do to have the db close completely each time so I can reopen it again when needed?

Provided Answers: 19
    Two questions:
    1. Exactly how are you closing the database?
    2. Why would you place a development copy of a database on a server?

Note that even if you were ready to publish/distribute the app, you'd only place the Back End, containing the Tables/Data on the server; a copy of the Front End, with everything else, would go on each user's PC.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I put it on the server because I need to see how it reacts on the server. Will it work, will it be slower, etc. So what I've found is it doesn't close correctly.
    I'm closing the normal way by clicking the "Close X" in the upper right hand corner.
    It closes correctly when being accessed from the local computer. but not when it's accessed from the server.

I never knew I could load parts of the db on the server and other parts on the individual computers. How do I make that happen?

Provided Answers: 19
    Here are two excellent tutorials that shows how to use the Wizard to Split a database as well as how to do it manually:

Splitting your Access database into application and data

or

Sharing - Access wiki - Access Help and How-to - Microsoft Office by UtterAccess.com

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Ok so this seems to work. I've got a question or two.
    Once I create the front end can I make changes to it without re-creating it again? I've also changed the file extension to .mde from .mdb. Can I still make changes to my forms and reports? If not how do I make changes?

Provided Answers: 59
    If you deploy your app as an MDE or ACCDE then you cannot make changes to it. Its a one way path. Retain your original MDB or ACCDB as your development environment.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So if I want to make changes I'd have to work with my original db and then create a new front end, is that the process?