Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Lost Many-To-Many Relational Field

This evening I was repositioning a Many-to-Many Relational Field on a form and suddenly the Many-to-Many Form disappeared. It still shows up on the Tab-Order but I cannot locate the Many-to-Many Field anywhere. Can someone give me any directions on how to find this feature that is no longer in the field of view?
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Daryl.
    You need to go fishing if something is accidentally pushed off the form stage.

See attached HTML/FLASH animation.

I will intentionally miss 3 times to latch onto the field in order to get the point across, and on the 4th attempt I will capture the field.

Regards
    James
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Daryl
    Have you tried expanding your work area? - ie drag the lower right hand corner to create a larger window in design. You then will need to do some scrolling with the now smaller marker in scrollbars.
    Regards
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Hi Daryl.
    You need to go fishing if something is accidentally pushed off the form stage.

See attached HTML/FLASH animation.

I will intentionally miss 3 times to latch onto the field in order to get the point across, and on the 4th attempt I will capture the field.

Regards
    James

hahaha. NIce one James

James,
    After watching the video twice, I understood what you were doing. I replicated your actions and found the missing form per your actions on the video! Based on your 'intimate' knowledge of this issue, I can safely assume that you, too, suddenly had something disappear and had to revise a solution. I tried many things last evening but was simply unable to find that mysteriously misplaced Many-to-Many Relational Field; however, with your gracious help, I am back in business again!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in the Summer of 2015. I need to add a leg of that journey to include Ireland because I need to share a beer with you!
    Daryl G

Have you tried expanding your work area? - ie drag the lower right hand corner to create a larger window in design. You then will need to do some scrolling with the now smaller marker in scrollbars.
    That works too, but only if the field is off the form stage on the right hand side, or the bottom. Resizing the form will not get back anything off the left hand side or anything that's off stage over the top of the form.

The only method that works for all 4 sides is simply going fishing like I did in the video.

Regards
    James

Based on your 'intimate' knowledge of this issue, I can safely assume that you, too, suddenly had something disappear and had to revise a solution.
    Yes, but it's very rare to see when in the form designer. If your working on a complex report style, then it can happen more often.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in the Summer of 2015. I need to add a leg of that journey to include Ireland because I need to share a beer with you!
    Cheers.
    lol... Nothing like a pint of Guinness made in Ireland. Had quite a few of them last night and I'm still feeling the side effects...he..he...

Regards
    James

Hi James
    You are correct about items to left and top needing your "fishing" technique but users need to watch out if they have carefully arranged objects on the form and accidentally "muck" it up by dragging the mouse around (would be nice if BD could add a undo edit function - would make life a lot easier). Making a back up before any "fishing" might be a good idea.
    Regards
    David

David,
    I totally agree with your statement; however, there was something strange that occurred when my MMR field moved... I was performing a very minute adjustment and when I released the mouse the field bounced right off of the page and into the left field 'oblivion'. Additionally, I have also had a button move from one sheet to another while tweaking the positioning??? Because of this seemingly random and unwanted behavior, I now keep two copies of my in-development project. One is the 'before' version and the other is the one that I am currently working with. If the change works properly, I then save the new model and open a copy to do the next adjustment to. Typically, I begin each day with a fresh new version so that if today's activities fail, I can always go back to the previous day's copy and start anew. My working folder now has a plethora of backups that I have created as I am adding functionality to my project.

I could not agree more about the need for an 'undo' command!!!
    Daryl G

It goes without saying, always have a backup copy of the database your working on.

Don't learn the importance of this the hard way like I did.

I went to a factory to make a change to an old program I had written years ago and I simply walked up to the computer and moved the database from the internal hard disk to my memory stick.

Something happened during the move (not copy) of the file and the database became completely damaged (wrong file size) and wouldn't open.

The only thing that saved me from loosing all the records stored in that database was pure luck. The power had gone off in the factory that morning an hour before I had turned up, and I had the program set to create a backup copy of it's self when opened, so there was a ~1 file on the hard disk that was only an hour old. So I only lost an hour of records.

From that day onwards I'd always have a backup option if something I were doing was to fail, and because of that, I've dodged a few bullets since.

Regards
    James