Unanswered: Access stops when field entered

Here's a new one on me.
    Just returned from vacation, opened one of my db's. Opened a data entry form from switchboard; found desired record; clicked on field to change it; screen goes almost white with message "Access has stopped working...will close program and look for solution..." Tried a copy of the db on another machine and same thing. Seems to be only this one form, but any field on it. Other forms seem OK. I've tried to compact/repair to no avail. I'd suspect a corrupt form, but why would it also happen on the other machine. Both worked before I left. (I did a wdos update just to be sure it wasn't that).
    Any ideas?
    Pete
    PGT

Provided Answers: 59
    compile the db
    see if any errors are reported

other than that the most likely source of such errors is a change / fixpack applied to either Office OR the underlying OS on both computers. so check all references
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem,
    Thanks. In the meantime I checked 2 of my other db's and they work (at least to the extent I checked them). I also started playing with the "backup" files that were created each time Access tried to fix itself. Somehow one of them on the 2nd machine (of about 10) seemed to have fixed itself, but I have no idea what I did to fix it. I'm running a whole batch experiments with that file to see if it's really fixed.

As to a change/fixpack, none was applied that I'm aware of and I do all my updating by manual selection, not automatically.

Question: how do you compile the db? I searched all the menus for a compile function.
    Pete
    PGT

Switch to the code view, think its run | compile

Provided Answers: 5
    I find the best way to remove this problem is running a decompile switch holding the shift key (that helps bypass any startup forms, etc) then go to the code window click on debug and compile. I have included a sample for using the decompile switch.

I keep this as batch file to routinely maintain my master copies:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" /decompile "C:\Users\djones\Dev\CMS.accdb"

just make sure you path to where your copy of MSAccess.exe is in quotes then use the forward slash and the word decompile then a path to the file in quotes
    Dale Houston, TX

Dale,
    Thanks. Having a batch file is a neat idea. I'll give it a try on one of my backup copies.
    One question: Why decompile instead of compile? I guess I need to get some education on this.
    Pete
    PGT

Provided Answers: 5
    the decompile is a method in which the background code is "re-converted" back into text files. For reasons that I do not fully understand it also removes white space and in many cases will fix the "access has stopped running" problem.

You tend to get this - at least I do - when I am going back and forth between the code window and design mode of an object. - It generally will not happen while you are in the application but it occurs when you come back in the application the next time.

But remember - this is to remedy a problem - do not routinely just start your application this way and ALWAYS remember after you start in decompile mode to go into the vba window and select debug and compile and then save.
    Dale Houston, TX

as with compact and repair, make certain you take a backup BEFORE doing the decompile, and AFTER verify as much of the application as possible BEFORE copying the decompiled version back into the live environment

I seem to remember a warning about decompile suggesting its a good option as a last resort, but probably shouldn't be used frequently. IIRC the decomplier can get a bit carried away and cause more harm than good. But very occasional use shoudl be OK.

Microsoft Access File Backup and Maintenance Options — DatabaseJournal.com suggests that decompile came in with A97 and that the warning appeared soon after. But also suggests that this may be a CYA appraoch as woith most undocumented software features. He's never had a problem with Decompile, but be aware ALWAYS do it on a copy just in case

One of the things I miss in Access is unit testing. I now there are a few tools out there but so far Ive not had the need to use one.