Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: Intel Nuc for Databases

Hi guys.
    Just wondering, what do you think of using the Intel Nuc for running databases created with brilliant database ?

A Nuc can screw to the Monitor mount on the back of any standard Computer Monitor, so from workspace point of view, having no desktop tower is a big plus to me.

Surly a Intel i3 processor is more than enough to run even a large database without even breaking a sweat.

Worse case, do you think such a tiny device would have no problem running 24/7 if needed ?

Regards
    James

Hi James

I found your thread while I was trying to find an answer to an irritating problem I'm having with a personal database.

This reply is probably way to late to help you but just in case...

I work in the Digital Signage industry (Advertising and information on screens of all sorts etc) and small PC devices are key for us. We have been using Intel NUC's to run some of our screens for some time without issue. We tend to be running video in loops or a sequence of videos controlled by a digital signage application so the processor overhead can tend to be very high.
    I would imagine that our overheads would be a lot higher than some databases.There are countless small footprint Industrial PC's available (as I'm sure you are well aware) that are crucially designed for 24x7 operation. We have used many different types over the years - some good, some bad. The problem with most of them for the client is the cost. A decent Industrial PC is not cheap but in terms of the reliability you get, we find it worth the arguments with the client. Every time that the client goes cheap, they end up regretting it and ultimately paying for their mistake in call-out charges or embarrassing equipment failures.

I think you are based in Ireland (I'm in England)and it might be worth your while having a look at Assured Systems http://www.assured-systems.co.uk/ if you haven't already come across them.

I have no links to these guys other than we find them ultra helpful, Reliable and good value.

Doug

Intel NUC's

Hi James

I found your thread while I was trying to find an answer to an irritating problem I'm having with a personal database.

This reply is probably way to late to help you but just in case...

I work in the Digital Signage industry (Advertising and information on screens of all sorts etc) and small PC devices are key for us. We have been using Intel NUC's to run some of our screens for some time without issue. We tend to be running video in loops or a sequence of videos controlled by a digital signage application so the processor overhead can tend to be very high.
    I would imagine that our overheads would be a lot higher than some databases.There are countless small footprint Industrial PC's available (as I'm sure you are well aware) that are crucially designed for 24x7 operation. We have used many different types over the years - some good, some bad. The problem with most of them for the client is the cost. A decent Industrial PC is not cheap but in terms of the reliability you get, we find it worth the arguments with the client. Every time that the client goes cheap, they end up regretting it and ultimately paying for their mistake in call-out charges or embarrassing equipment failures.

I think you are based in Ireland (I'm in England)and it might be worth your while having a look at Assured Systems http://www.assured-systems.co.uk/ if you haven't already come across them.

I have no links to these guys other than we find them ultra helpful, Reliable and good value.

Doug

Thanks a million for that Doug, it's very helpful.

It's been almost a year since I made that post, and since then I did buy a number of NUC computers. So far they are all alive and still working away but if I were to be honest, they amount of heat they can generate is kind of a worry.

Since then I think the newer models are better, but still, it's hard to know long-term.

Regards
    James.

Hi James
    The Intel Nuc's do run hot as h*!l but seem to be happy doing it.
    Some of the industrial PC's I mentioned could fry an egg on top while some of them run cold. There is no common ground between them. We have fretted over the heat of some of them endlessly with suppliers who are really laid back and tell us not to worry (and are usually right). Others try to sell us cheap units and claim they are state of the art and which invariably fail after a short time. Trouble is that when they do, the client has a memory lapse that they didn't want to pay for a decent piece of hardware despite what you warned them.
    Sound familiar???
    We used to run a very sophisticated network of 2500 PC's around the world in the most challenging of environments which were powered by very basic Intel chips on Cheap Taiwanese motherboards. The client hammered us on price which decided the hardware and then paid the price on reliability so I know the dangers! They went bust!!!
    We tend to use SSD'd where pc's are expected to run 24x7 and find they are much more reliable and faster. We also schedule a daily reboot task where we can which makes a huge difference. We add anything we can into the mix to try to help such as UPS's and redundancy if we think it will keep a system running. As with databases users, advertisers are tough customers to satisfy.
    In recent times, we have run everything from Nexcoms with CF cards running Puppy Linux through to monster servers with twin multi-head graphics cards and beyond as well as everything in between. I would hate to tell you the number of older systems before the Nexcoms we have tried and broken!!
    A lot of the systems we now use are solid state dedicated digital signage devices for simpler networks but we still have to resort to high end PC's for anything complex.
    We drive everything from 3"x2" screens all the way up to 200mē LED video walls
    Our clients - like yours I expect - seem to think that our PC's are invulnerable to problems whilst they treat their own with kid gloves.
    We have learned the hard way that you DEFINITELY get what you pay for as I'm sure you have found for yourself.
    Happy to share our experiences at any time if it's of help.
    Can't help with database problems though😈

Doug

Hello.
    Thanks for all that, I really predicate it. For what little few NUC's I've put together for clients so far, they are really impressed by them.

I personally think they are amazing. So much power in a tiny box that can be screwed to the back of any monitor.

Sounds like your working for a big operation. That's a massive amount of PC's to manage. If your ever looking for a brilliant database programmer... lol...

Regards
    James