I was just dropped in to code for Oracel 11r2 in C.
I'm used and expierienced for Adabas (eSQL/C), PostGres, SapDB and other.

The Oracle OCI API are looking something confusing to me, especially the concept to log on into an RDBMS Instance on an remote server.

I managed to use the remote connection via sqlplus remote like:
$ sqlplus ocihol/welcome@
Also I was able to execute the SQL Code Examples from the Oracle Oci Example.
To provide the Example Data.

Compiling and exuting of the C-Code is also working, but I get stuck to provide the "connection" string and get remote connect working.

excerpt of stage1.c:
#include <oci.h>                                                                                                                                                     
#include "helper.h"                                                                                                                                                  
static text *username = (text *) "ocihol";                                                                                                                           
static text *apppassword = (text *) "welcome";                                                                                                                       
static char *connstr = (char *) "@";                                                                                                         
OCIEnv   *envhp = (OCIEnv *)NULL;                                                                                                                                    
static OCIAuthInfo *authp = NULL;                                                                                                                                    

// later in main I()

checkenv(envhp, OCIHandleAlloc(envhp, (void **) &authp, OCI_HTYPE_AUTHINFO, (size_t) 0, (void **) NULL));                                                          
  /* setup username and password */                                                                                                                                  
  checkerr(errhp, OCIAttrSet(authp, OCI_HTYPE_AUTHINFO, (void *) username, strlen((char *)username), OCI_ATTR_USERNAME, errhp));                                     
  checkerr(errhp, OCIAttrSet(authp, OCI_HTYPE_AUTHINFO, apppassword, strlen((char *) apppassword), OCI_ATTR_PASSWORD, errhp));

I do not see, where the remote connection is defined to use from C-Code.

My newbie Questions:

What is the easiest way to connect to an remote Oracle Instance in C (linux)?
Do you have an pointer for me, with a very smal minimal C-Code Snipplet for remote connect in OCI API?
It seems not clear to me, howto setup and define remote connections...