Unanswered: Optimization unreliable

Hi,

I am using 10.5 Ultimate trial and did a database optimization. It deleted the most recent two records that I had added to the database.

Matty

Provided Answers: 17
    Are you sure?

The record and folder count shown in the Optimiser Window never matches the amount of records you can see displayed in the top right of your database windows.

The record count is always out by 2, and the folder is always about by 1.

For example, create a new empty database and leave everything on it's default. This will give you a single record, a single foder, and your recycle bin.

Now use the optimiser to analyse the database and you will see the count is off. It will tell you there's 3 records and 3 folders.

Regards
    James

Hi James

It wasn't the count I never looked at that. It was actual records with all their associated data just vanished. Two of them. Had to return to backup I took just before.

Matty.

Ouch....
    Haven't seen that happen before. Are you able to reproduce this happening ?

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 2
    Out of curiosity, I tried to do the Database Optimization after Matty brought up this topic. Lucky for me that I had saved a copy since this process destroyed my project... something is definitely amiss with this function.
    Daryl G

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Ouch....
    Haven't seen that happen before. Are you able to reproduce this happening ?
    No, strangely. I restored the pre-optimization backup and ran the optimization and the records stayed this time.

Matty

I'm afraid I can't replicate any optimisation issues using Ver 10.54 Build #5701.

Will keep testing at random though.

Regards
    James

I looked at mine again to see what was happening during my attempt at optimization and here are two screenshots of the messages I received ("Error while naming file" and after about six more seconds I receive the next message is "Run-time error '6': Overflow") . The original file completely disappears??? I am using V10.5 Professional. The 'Database Status' indicates that I have no errors in the program.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails optimization 1.jpg   optimization 2.jpg  
    Daryl G

Hmmm... your files are under a lot of sub folders where mine are not.

Have an idea...Try this....

Create a folder c:\testing
    and place a copy of your database in there.

Rename your database to...
    project.bbd

Now open it and see if you can get the optimisation to fail now.

Regards
    James

James,
    Could you please explain why you suggested those two steps? I did exactly as you stated and it worked PERFECTLY!!!! Why did it work?
    Daryl G

he...he.... Had a feeling that would work.

Here's my thinking on this.....

If you store your databases in a sub folder of your My Documents folder, then there are Windows User Permission that come into play as well as security issues with a program being able to freely write to your User/LOCAL/Temp folder.

It's best that you totally avoid all of that by simply creating a folder at the root of your C or whatever drive you like.

For example, I use...

C:\My Software\
    And inside this folder I have many folders, each on relating to the project or company I'm working for.

For example....

C:\My Software\Company Name\Invoice\invoice.bbd

Also, in a previous version of brilliant database, there were issues with naming files. I don't believe this has been fully fixed yet, although it has certainly been mostly fixed. To totally avoid a problem with the naming, never give a database a name of more than 8 letters, and always name it with a single word, not two words.

Regards
    James

James,
    Your help, advice, and detailed explanations are invaluable!!! - I am certainly going to save that information for future use. The location of BD files and the naming convention I utilize change at this very moment.

I was telling my wife last evening about this issue with the Optimization that I had and your recommended solution. She looked at me very quizzically until I told her that it worked.

Besides the Brilliant Database product itself, James, you are the most valuable asset of Brilliant Database. I cannot thank you enough for all of your help.
    Daryl G

Relatively new to the forum, but from what I've seen I must agree, James is THE man, and he is so willing to help us novices...greatly appreciated.
    I have been using multi-word file names sometimes nested 2 to 3 folders deep in My Documents for a couple years without a problem optimizing. Recently upgraded to 10.54B and optimization seems OK. Have I been just lucky and should I change things at this point? Everything seems to be working OK.

I have been using multi-word file names sometimes nested 2 to 3 folders deep in My Documents for a couple years without a problem optimizing. Recently upgraded to 10.54B and optimization seems OK. Have I been just lucky and should I change things at this point?
    The problem does not apply to any v9 or lower edition. It only applies to v10.

The initial v10 releases were a mess and the optimisation simply didn't work right at all, but with each v10 release this has gotten a lot better.

The current v10.54B is very good, however, you can still run into this problem if you are using your "my documents" folder and certain configurations of file names.

Everything seems to be working OK.
    I think luck is on your side there more than anything else. The problem does still exsist as you can see from what Daryl has reported. It's simple to avoid the risk.

Regards
    James