Unanswered: Hide a column from non-admin users

Hi Guys,

I want to hide a column in a table to non-admin users . The column must be hidden even when the non-admin edits the table style. Any idea?

Thanks

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 02-09-14 at 03:44.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Ernie.

From a design point of view, no end user should ever be allowed to edit the Table View.

Are you using the SDK edition, aka “Ultimate Edition”?

You as the designer of the application should create the Admin view, and the end user view, and when you compile your database to a program, you should remove all design menu functions so the end user can only operate what they are allowed to access.

This way you can control what Table view loads based on what user is logged in. For For example, if user does not = Administrator, then Table View is End user, else table View is Admin.

So, you need to think of this from a design point of view.

Does that help any?

Regards
    James.

James, this is tested using the SDK edition shared to workplace edition. Even if the "Admin Table view" and "User Table View" is created, the end user can simply check the hidden column field in the Column menu. Ticking the system field checkbox for this field in the editor is the next alternative solution.

Thanks.

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 02-09-14 at 13:25.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Ernie.
    Ok, that seems to work interestingly enough.

But are you ok with allowing users to change how data displayed on the table?

Personally, I wouldn’t. I don't know what sort of control you have in the lower editions of brilliant database, but with the SDK you can remove the menu completely and there's no need for workplace licences.

Regards
    James

Personally, I also don't want the users to change how data are displayed in the table

As always ,thanks for your help James.

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 02-09-14 at 13:44.