Entity Relationship

Hi new to databases and this is my first attempt can you help me please Guys

I'm trying to create a database for a Gym. I have created 5 Entities; Members, Membership payment, Membershiptype, Paymentmethod and Staff. I'm confused as to what kind of relationship should i give to allow one member to make one payment, and one payment can be made in many methods processed by a Staff member?

Without seeing your assignment, we can easily solve it but we can't help you learn.

You really need to work through this problem with your teacher or a classmate. They have insight into this exercise that we don't have and probably can't get, so the best that we could do would be to give you a solution instead of teaching you what you need to learn.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Entity Relationship >

Thanks for the reply pal

But since Im learning by myself, I thought I would be easier if I started with something I knew which in my Case is a Gym membership. I do not have a Tutor or a Colleague hence why Im here. I wasn't asking for a quick answer only advice or pointers in the right direction thats all.

I'm sure there was a time when all this was new to you too

Data Modeling certainly was new to me at one time!

The problem is that so many times DBForums gets students who are trying to work outside of the system that come here to get help. If you have paid a school/teacher to help you learn this kind of stuff then come here to actually get help, you are effectively throwing away your money.

Going back to my original post: Without knowing what you are supposed to (or in this case are trying to) learn, we can give you an answer but that won't help you learn. Data Modeling is a relatively large and complex art. There are a lot of "moving pieces" in the puzzle, and trying to learn those pieces without a structure is likely to be maddening. There are so many pieces to the process that don't come intuitively into play, that trying to learn Data Modeling without structure is akin to learning architecture without structure... You might get it right, but the odds are against you.

Rather than just simply starting a project, I would very strongly suggest that you pick a class (I'm pretty sure that there are great MOOCs on the subjects) or a book (I can offer several choices if you can give me more detail on what you want to learn). That will give you the structure that you need, as well as covering all of the critical and many of the important details in an organized fashion so that you don't end up missing large or important parts of the process!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Entity Relationship

Thanx Pat

I've been reading these two Books Beginning Database Design by Gavin Powell and Foundations of databases by S. Abiteboul and a CBT called Foundations of Programming: Database CBT with Simon Allardice from lynda.com.

The idea was to create an application that i'll use in the Gym that i run and use it to process memberships etc. I suppose i got myself in a muddle with the relationships wasnt sure if by using one to one relationships for my Entities i'll be limiting the application. As i said before i've created 5 entities Members, Memberpayments, Membertype and Payment Method and Staff. I thought it will go One member can make a payment and one payment by one payment method and one payment processed by one member of staff.

Here's a couple of Gym-related Data Models

On my Database Answers Web Site :-
    Gym Management -
    Data Model for Gym Management

Gym Training Diary -
    Gym Training Diary Data Model

HTH

Barry in London

Entity relation cont.

Hey!

I'm also new to this database design and I'm currently thinking on a CTO/ETO engineering database. Where I have a particular product which exist in different sizes. Let me explain the scope:
    There is an ATV (all terrain vehicle); this ATV exist in different size which is defined on the ATV axis. Children has a diameter of 30 mm, an adult aux version with 45mm, and a forrest slayer with 50 mm. furthermore There is an engine choice of about 3-5 for each type of ATV. The RPM differs and gives different torque. there could only be one motor to an ATV. Furthermore it's possible to have different rims, add a winch to the front of it if wanted. The customer when buying expects to have a manual with the ATV, manual differs depending on the choices made for the engine, winch etc. Each manual has a picture of the ATV and it's different choices possible.

Any ideas?

Furthermore, could it possibly integrate a module pricing in such a database? so motor would have a certain price, winch a certain price etc.

I found this

In regards to my previous post, I've looked at this solution for the product and the product categories: Products, Categories and Attributes Data Model

However when it comes to the different choices of the characteristics of the product I feel a bit confused, as well for the manuals implementation.