diagnose this situation?

Hi all I'm here seeking an expert eye,

As a consumer I've been dealing with this web-based system for a few years, there's some interaction between a database and the web UI which makes it run really slow almost immediately.

I filmed an example here Ozco Online - YouTube

Can someone tell me the likely cause and possible solution for this?

I'd like to put it forward to the Australia Council for The Arts; they spend a few mil on contractors each year so it should be possible to get it fixed. maybe your firm can pitch it if that's your game.

many thanks! Luc

If you're not interested or don't have the time to watch the clip, basically the page calls up a growing series of drop-down menus (with 10s. or 100s of options)... each menu selection requires a full page refresh and once there are more than a couple active on the page, each refresh takes up to a minute...

is this web app design or just server related?

thanks for viewing. L

on the wrong server
    I am not able to watch youtube from my current location. I would suggest you find a forum dedicated to the technology stack you are using, and post there. A general database design forum will be of little use. Your database design can be just one of a myriad of issues causing performance issues, and it will probably take one to N number of professionals fluent in the technology you are using to diagnose the issue.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.