Thread: I need help

I need help

I'm in desperate need of help. I'm a college student taking a database system course and everything is so foreign to me. I have to work in a team on this big project to create a business proposal for a fictional company. We have to look at the ERD, make changes to it, create a dashboard... all that stuff that is way over my head. I don't even know how to begin evaluating an ER diagram and improve it.

Apparently, my other team members are way more experienced so I feel cast out. I just need help so I signed up to this forum. Hopefully I'll learn something because I'm certainly not learning a thing from my team mates.

so you need to go back to your team mates, presumably you are supposed to be handing in a team project. they need you just as much as you need them. if you have any illusions of working in the db, any systems or fot that matter any work environment then you have to be preapred to muck in. you have to fit in and you need to ake certain your needs are met. go talk to the poeple you are meant to be contributing with

if that fails you need to go back to your teachers or lecturers and say your team ins;t working for you can you switch to another
    you also need to read up on the stuff you are supposed to have studied

this forum will help but it wont do for you. you need to do most of the work yourself. pose questions when you reach a sticking point. butg until you make an effort an attemtp at your coursework Id be surprised if you get mush sympathy here.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Sympathy, cheating...? I don't know if it fits in this situation.

It's a complicated project so it's hard to cheat but I have no desire to cheat. There's seriously no possible way to cheat. You have to know database to complete the project which is why I need help learning.

I'm currently reading a database book and watching introduction videos. Despite my lack of knowledge, I've been desperate to earn a more active role in my group besides being a writer and an editor. Emailed professor and everything. My desperation is due to my own drive to learn not out of fear that I may have to work hard. I rather be inundated with work because that shows that I am a reliable team mate.

Additionally, the project is not going to be handed in until the end of this semester so there's a long way to go since it's self-paced. Don't worry, there's no slacking off on my end since the project hasn't officially started yet.

I'm just hoping this forum can help me.
    Last edited by j930; 02-17-14 at 08:52.

im guessing the institution believes the best way for this project to suceed is for the team to work as a team. soemthing that this forium cannot help you wiht in any shqpe or form, execpt go talk to the rest of the team, if that fails try to see if you can switch teams.

if you don't know how to do an ERD, then you need to learn how to do an ERD. I would be amazed if an ERD is required that the steps you need to do have not been taught or alluded to as part of your course. if its way over your head then youneed to go back to the teachers and point out they haven't taught the subject very well

if you want a learnign resource go somewhwere like w3 shools

if you want a tool to draw erd's there's lots out there. but drawing the erd is only one step, you can draw an erd using pencil and paper (and a rubber/eraser). but unless you actually go through the steps to create an ERD and data model then your studies are of limited value. feel free to publicise which academic instituin you are studying woth so as others do not fall victim to such inadequate teaching methods.

lastly im not worried, after all its not my coursework, its not my life skills, its not my working skills that are being developed.

if you have a spcific query realting to some thorny problem or have done most of the work but don't quite grasp a specific problem then ask away. but this palce cannto act as a learning REPLACEMENT, supplement maybe, but REPLACEMENT definitely not
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I think you're taking what I said and going above and beyond with it.

There's no team activity that needs to be done at this point- nothing needs to be done. Project hasn't started, no team work is needed now. I can write you an essay about my situation, but it's unnecessary.

I'm not replacing my education with this forum. The thought never entered into my mind.

I know the internet doesn't take too kindly to cheaters and slackers who demand answers and work being done for them, and I also know that I have no desire to do that. Even if I do, it's nearly impossible given the nature of this project.

"Don't worry" was not meant to suggest that you're actually worried or in any way affected by my situation. It's a stupid thing that people write just to fill a sentence and not meant to be taken literally.

I'm also using Microsoft Visio to draw ERDs. I know a little bit of it, but not enough.

This is going really well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    im guessing the institution believes the best way for this project to suceed is for the team to work as a team. soemthing that this forium cannot help you wiht in any shqpe or form, execpt go talk to the rest of the team, if that fails try to see if you can switch teams.

if you don't know how to do an ERD, then you need to learn how to do an ERD. I would be amazed if an ERD is required that the steps you need to do have not been taught or alluded to as part of your course. if its way over your head then youneed to go back to the teachers and point out they haven't taught the subject very well

if you want a learnign resource go somewhwere like w3 shools

if you want a tool to draw erd's there's lots out there. but drawing the erd is only one step, you can draw an erd using pencil and paper (and a rubber/eraser). but unless you actually go through the steps to create an ERD and data model then your studies are of limited value. feel free to publicise which academic instituin you are studying woth so as others do not fall victim to such inadequate teaching methods.

lastly im not worried, after all its not my coursework, its not my life skills, its not my working skills that are being developed.

if you have a spcific query realting to some thorny problem or have done most of the work but don't quite grasp a specific problem then ask away. but this palce cannto act as a learning REPLACEMENT, supplement maybe, but REPLACEMENT definitely not
    I think you're taking what I said and going above and beyond with it.

There's no team activity that needs to be done at this point- nothing needs to be done. Project hasn't started, no team work is needed now. I can write you an essay about my situation, but it's unnecessary.

I'm not replacing my education with this forum. The thought never entered into my mind.

I know the internet doesn't take too kindly to cheaters and slackers who demand answers and work being done for them, and I also know that I have no desire to do that. Even if I do, it's nearly impossible given the nature of this project.

"Don't worry" was not meant to suggest that you're actually worried or in any way affected by my situation. It's a stupid thing that people write just to fill a sentence and not meant to be taken literally.

I'm also using Microsoft Visio to draw ERDs. I know a little bit of it, but not enough.

This is going really well so far.

you are welcome as always & I hope you will enjoy the site very much
    I am new here.
    I hope your problems get solved very soon
    Last edited by x7x; 02-23-14 at 07:46.