Unanswered: SQl BACK UP 2008- No.bak extension

Hi All,

I have created a backup for the sql server 2008 database.and this I have done in the remote server.So when I checked for the backup I have created in the folder,its not having .bak extension only it have is extension name as file. What is the possibility that its showing wrong? and when I sent that to anyone,the person who is restoring the backup,is not being able to do that.

Please help..Thanks In advance.

Provided Answers: 6
    I believe the backup file will have any extension you give it when your designate a file name when you run a backup. I am not a DBA anymore and have not been for some time, but I *think* if you take the file you have and single click on it, hit F2 to rename, and manually place a .bak after the filename, you might be able to use the file. This is of course assuming you did not accidently backup your log instead of your database.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    You can back up a database to a file of any name and/or extension. Windows likes to be "helpful", and hide extensions if the extension is "known". Run the following in Management Studio to see what is in the file:
    Code:
    restore headeronly from disk = 'path to your file goes here'
    If it is a backup file, you will get a set of results. If it is not a backup file, you will get an error. Easy.

SQL Backup - no .bak extension

Thankyou for you help

I executed the code ,as u said..that has completed successfully.. and returned a set of results..starting with backupname.

So I assume,there is nothing wrong what I did from my side.

Provided Answers: 6
    Have you tried restoring it yourself?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.