Unanswered: Help Please - new menber

Hi
    Firstly, may I apologize if this question has already been covered. I have looked through a large number of posts but could not see anything that looked similar.
    I am very much a beginner in terms of development and I am working on a database was only going to be for my own personal use but a friend has seen it and wants to use part of it to develop it in a slightly different way for his own requirements and to save him some time.
    I have no problem in letting him have the database as it stands but there seems to be a problem in him opening it. I am on Brilliant professional v10.5 but he is using a different version entirely (I think its Ultimate v 9.4 or similar) as he uses his version for his work.
    He says he is getting a header error message.
    Is there a problem in transferring the info or have I created my database in the wrong way?
    Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you

Provided Answers: 17
    Hello.
    Files are generally not backwards compatible, so there is no way he will be able to load your v10 database into his v9 SDK.

Regards
    James

Re Help Please

Thanks James

Bit of a blow but guess he will have to do some work for himself now

It seems a big limitation in comparison to other applications but its not a big deal for me with this.

Thank you for the swift response and help

Doug

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi
    As James has said it is a version problem. One alternative might be for your friend to download the trial (full featured) to view your file and use its documentation features ( limited to scripts, forms and folders ) to recreate in older version. He would need to do screen dumps of form layouts and likely need some guidance from you but it would be head start over starting from scratch. You could draw up map of relationships and any complex operations. One main thing to watch is the order of creation as many things are interelated, particularly in scripts. The unknown factor is if you have used a feature in lastest version that is not in older version.
    Just some thoughts, otherwise will need to spend dollars on 10.5.
    Regards
    David

Thank you

Hi David

Thank you for your suggestions. I will pass this on to my friend and he can decide what he wants to do. It may be that he is able to upgrade and I assume that if he does, he would be able to open the database? If not, he will just have to do it the hard way!!!
    I was simply trying to find a way to shave a bit of time off his work if I could but it wont be the end of the world if we cant do it.
    I really wanted to join the forum to help me with developing my own database application. Ive done a good deal of what I wanted to but there are many little bits that are causing me frustration or I cant get to work and I hope that I might find answers along the way - and who knows, perhaps help someone my self eventually.
    Thanks again for all the help and suggestions from both of you.

Doug