Unanswered: Charting dataset name

Not that familiar with charting. Is it possible to set the "Dataset Name" to a variable? I have equipment maintenance records and I would like to set the "Labels" to a variable that names the piece of equipment.
    Thanks on any ideas.
    Don

Provided Answers: 17
    I don't understand the question.
    Can you please give a little more information on this?

Regards
    James

Yes. I have a chart based on query results which call up records for different pieces of equipment. So, based on which record (equipment piece) I'm viewing, the query results change to records for that piece of equipment, and therefore, the dataset name changes. I would like to place a variable in the dataset name that changes to the name of the currently viewed piece of equipment, instead of a generic "Equipment Piece". The more I try, the more I don't think this is possible. I don't wish to set up 30 or so datasets for each piece. Sorry if this is confusing.
    Don

Got ya, now I understand.
    Yes, you can do that.

Create a Global variable called dataset.

How you populate the variable with the selected equipment item is up to yourself. Whatever works best for your project. Probably on record select maybe?

Now, to get the Chart display that variable is pretty simply believe it or not. As you know, when setting up your chart the Dataset Name only a text box. However, if you manually type the name of a variable into this box it will actually work.

So if you created the variable dataset that I mentioned above, then you will type [$dataset] into that text box and it will work.

Regards
    James

Thanks for the response, James. It is probably me, but I can't get this to work. I've done what you suggested. When I draw the legend for the chart, it simply gives me the word [$dataset] in the legend box on the chart, and not its intended variable value. Oh well.
    Don

Please see attached file.

There's a simple form with a Text field. If you type something into that field and press the populate button, this will populate a variable I called “test”.

If you then go to the folder where there my Chart is, you will see that on the bottom of the chart the text the variable is storing will be displayed on the chart.

I've also included a screen shot of where I manually typed the variable into the “Dataset Name” field.

Does that help?

Regards
    James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chart.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

You are so kind, James. I was trying to use the Dataset Name in the LEGEND of the chart because my X-axis is populated with date values. Your argument field is "Title", whereas mine is "Date". But now I see what you were referring to, and I so much appreciate your willingness to help.
    Don

I raised this issue with Mikhail some time back and he assured that he will include text formula possibility in the charting!

Yes, I also realized that when I needed a variable Legend.
    Last edited by mcmichael; 02-24-14 at 10:45.