Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help.

Question Unanswered: Need Help.

This is for my class. This week in my Database class we are working with MYSQL.Additional information I think I am missing something. I went to download the enterprise addition and it wasn't an all in one download. I got the workbench(Instructor said its all we SHOULD need). She has a YOUTUBE video of how to connect. Followed it step by step, and at the end when I hit TEST CONNECTION: "Failed to Connect to MySQL at 127.0.0.1:3306 with user root. Can't connect to MySQL at '127.0.0.1' with user root Underneath that it says: Can't Connect to MySQL server'127.0.0.1(10061)

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Ben

Provided Answers: 54
    This assumes that you have the MySQL database server installed on the machine where you are installing the Workbench. If the service is not both installed and running, you will get the error message that you posted.

Without knowing what other assumptions that your instructor might have made, I can't give you good instructions. You need to go back to her to see what she is assuming that you don't know yet.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 59
    if ou are installing MySQL for learning purposes then, persoanlly I'd ignoire waht your tutot is saying
    I'd download MySQL from Apache and friends
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Duplicate post
    Last edited by Ben52580; 02-24-14 at 18:06. Reason: Duplicate

Responding

Duplicate post again.

Odd for about 20mins I would refresh the page, even closed it and came back and these were not showing up at all. Sorry for the repeated posts everyone.
    Last edited by Ben52580; 02-24-14 at 18:06.

I have tried to reply in thread three times now its not working so I'll send my respond to you here.

Your first goal this week is to download and install MySQL. This took me some time to accomplish, so don't put this off until the end of the week!

MySQL is freely available as open source software. The most recent version of MySQL can be downloaded from the Internet at MySQL :: MySQL Downloads. I downloaded the Enterprise edition, but it is only the Workbench product that we are using. I spoke to the Oracle telephone support, and they felt the Community edition would fit your needs, but I have not downloaded that so you will have to download it and see if it matches. They felt the Community edition would be the easiest download for you.

When you download this software, you will need to establish an account. Make sure you use your .edu email address for establishing this account. That email address helps to identify you as a student.

Until preparing for this course, I had never used MySQL before. I have always had access to SQL through MS-SQL Server. However, that is a costly program. Since we are barely scratching the surface of SQL, the parts of the program we are using are strikingly similar. And most importantly, it is free

"There were many students last term who had issues downloading and installing this software. Do not put it off until the night your assignments are due; get it downloaded as early as you can this week. If you have problems with the download/install process, email me. Make sure the email has the subject "Download/Install MySQL issue" so I reply to your email with the highest priority. I may be in a meeting, at lunch, or otherwise away from my desk, but I understand that you are at a standstill until you have this software.

A couple of students have told me they are using a Mac computer. As always, the ICCOC discourages the use of Mac's for coursework as everything is set up and tested on PC's. However, I try to accommodate Mac students as much as possible. I did not have any Mac students last term (the first term I taught this online), and honestly do not have the expertise to assist you with the install process on a Mac. If there are issues, please make me aware of them so I can assist future students, but my recommendation would be to get a pc with a Windows operating system if you are having problems downloading the Mac OS version; I know...not the answer you want to hear."

She also included this.. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOI2OyeArk"

I do everything she says. When I click test connection that's when I get that air. I click on the SQL file she tells me too

For your friends using MacIntosh computers, I'd recommend MySQL Database Server for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com as an easy answer, or MySQL :: Download MySQL Community Server for the official answer (be sure to choose the Mac OS X platform).

For your own purpose, you need to visit MySQL :: Download MySQL Community Server and be sure to choose the Microsoft Windows platform. Pick the 64 or 32 bit version that is appropriate for your machine. Extract the ZIP file to a local drive, and then start the installation process.

In any case (Mac OS X, Windows, or Linux), you MUST install the server components before you can use the Workbench components. You won't get anywhere without having the server components installed somewhere!

As a side note, please ask your instructor to contact me. I'd like to have a short discussion with her, and I think that she'll really like the outcome!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

If you are inexperienced in installing software my strong recommendation is to use one of the XAMP installation packages. The reason, it installs and works without further modification or user intervention.

New Problem!

Now I have everything connecting properly. However, when in the video she says hit connect to database in the video, then hit ok, after that I am supposed to see under 'SCHEMAS' Premiere , and I am not seeing that at all. I want to clarify, I have done previous step in her video and I am selecting premiere.sql. So I have no clue why that's not working.

Thanks for helping with fixing the initial problem though. Where would you like her to contact you by the way Pat!

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    If you are inexperienced in installing software my strong recommendation is to use one of the XAMP installation packages. The reason, it installs and works without further modification or user intervention.
    LOL. Sorry, I know you meant to in a polite and helpful way. I just had to laugh. I have been using computers since I was 5(back in the day of the Commodore 64 days). I have no issue installing packages/software of any kind! Once I read your reply, it took a few minutes after that. Usually I don't have many issues when it comes to computer related questions. Obviously, I wouldn't call myself a computer expert. No would I call most people who probably think are. You definitely seem like you could be, definitely seems like you know what your talking about.

I am just a tad baffled at the moment at why premiere isn't showing up where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben52580 View Post
    New Problem!

Now I have everything connecting properly. However, when in the video she says hit connect to database in the video, then hit ok, after that I am supposed to see under 'SCHEMAS' Premiere , and I am not seeing that at all. I want to clarify, I have done previous step in her video and I am selecting premiere.sql. So I have no clue why that's not working.

Thanks for helping with fixing the initial problem though. Where would you like her to contact you by the way Pat!
    So I just tried to use the Administration- Data Import section to try to get it that way, and here is what I get.

16:54:59 Restoring C:\Users\Ben\Desktop\Spring Semester 2014\DataBase Class\Premiere.sql

Running: mysql.exe --defaults-extra-file="c:\users\ben\appdata\local\temp\tmpv5prbb.cn f" --host=127.0.0.1 --user=root --port=3306 --default-character-set=utf8 --comments < "C:\\Users\\Ben\\Desktop\\Spring Semester 2014\\DataBase Class\\Premiere.sql"

Operation failed with exitcode 1

ERROR 1046 (3D000) at line 1: No database selected

16:55:10 Import of C:\Users\Ben\Desktop\Spring Semester 2014\DataBase Class\Premiere.sql has finished with 1 errors

isn't the premiere.sql file my database?

I responded with contact information via PM.

I'm going to guess that the premier.sql file is actually a set of SQL statements to build/configure your environment, not the database file itself. You could confirm this by attempting to open the file using a text browser or editor... If you can read the file, it is probably just statements that should configure the environment. If the file is incomprehensible to humans, then it might just be a database file.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I responded with contact information via PM.

I'm going to guess that the premier.sql file is actually a set of SQL statements to build/configure your environment, not the database file itself. You could confirm this by attempting to open the file using a text browser or editor... If you can read the file, it is probably just statements that should configure the environment. If the file is incomprehensible to humans, then it might just be a database file.

-PatP
    So you're correct. What I don't get is that in the YouTube video, she doesn't show herself doing anything to the file, so basically she is using it in its finished form. Now I need to figure out how I would convert it a usable database so I can do the work lol

If its got a .sql. extension then its almost certian that file contains the sql that creates the tables and other `stuff` required to create the learning environment. It would fit with why you were requested to install workbench. You need to open that file in workbench as a sql script and execute it.
    As this is a learning environment i wouldnt be over worried about users and permissions so open your workbench connection using the root (effectively the `master`) userid.

You may need to create your db `premiere` first.