Unanswered: SQL 2014 or SQL 2012 ? or NoSQL ?

Currently in a SQL 2008 R2 environment for multiple servers, all EE, some large DW apps (3+ TB Databases) as well as Portfolio Management System. I was not impressed with "In-Memory OLTP" as you "gotta wait somewhere", in this case when the DB mounts as it takes time to load the objects into memory, in my case 4 hours for a few, what I consider, small tables (< 500K rows).

We need to make the decision of where to go, in terms of our DB platform, and whether to stick with MS, if so, 2012 or 2014, but cost needs to be evaluated, as we have 30 subscribers for our HPC environment, that would all need EE (partitioned tables) and I need to read up on the new licensing model. Is 2014 "Gold" yet ? I typically wait until the first SP before I move forward, and 2014 is not near there yet, then again, 2012 is almost 3 years old, so is it worth the wait for a stable 2014 ? Just want to get the public's opinion. Is 2014 been proven for an "In place" upgrade from 2008 R2 ?

thanks all.

Provided Answers: 6
    This is a false dichotomy. The NOSQL platforms are not a replacement for the tried and true traditional relational database management systems. The NOSQL platforms resolve a handful of niche situations. Hadoop is great. it is fast. But it is not built to be a transactional system. Yes, facebook uses it, but it is not the thing that drives the Newsfeed. I believe that is still MySQL. Hadoop is there, but not for real time transactional processing. It is doing the "People you may know" and "Here is come crap you might like" jobs.

I would not make any decisions regarding your platform without knowing more about your environment and systems.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Oh and I am deploying my first MS SQL 2012 project to production, and I have had no major problems with it. The SSIS improvements are great.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    This is a false dichotomy. The NOSQL platforms are not a replacement for the tried and true traditional relational database management systems. The NOSQL platforms resolve a handful of niche situations. Hadoop is great. it is fast. But it is not built to be a transactional system. Yes, facebook uses it, but it is not the thing that drives the Newsfeed. I believe that is still MySQL. Hadoop is there, but not for real time transactional processing. It is doing the "People you may know" and "Here is come crap you might like" jobs.

I would not make any decisions regarding your platform without knowing more about your environment and systems.
    Thras, the NoSQL comment was in jest, quite a few developers here think it would be a smooth transition and all of their problems (bad code) would be solved, but from a history of Sybase to Oracle and Oracle to SQL migrations, I know NOTHING is smooth when it comes to migrating to a new DB platform. I constantly tell them SQL does not like your "One size fits all" OO style of programming, i.e. using a single large multijoin view to satisfy all queries and any query whether one column from one table or all columns in the view. They think I'm a wizard when I alter their code and all of a sudden performance is 100X faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    Oh and I am deploying my first MS SQL 2012 project to production, and I have had no major problems with it. The SSIS improvements are great.
    To a new Host, or In Place ?

it is not an upgrade. It is a new system.

Provided Answers: 1
    ..it's not just a new system, it's a new paradigm.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com