Unanswered: selecting drop down index

Hi,

In a script does anyone know how I can reference a particular entry in a drop down list? So, assuming the first item in a drop down has index 0, how do I script it to have that item selected as the value for that field?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 17
    To do that you would need to populate a variable with the contents of the drop down list. Once you do that, this list can be filtered by text lines.

The second part I know how to do, but the first part, I can't think of a way right now. I do remember someone posting an example of this being doing on the forums before though.

I'll see if I can find that thread.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi
    Not had time to explore but is the " selecting one value from a list or popup menu" any help? Page 131 of my manual under variables section.
    Regards
    David

Provided Answers: 17
    I'm not sure that would work.

I think the that the drop down list would either have to be based on records, or the list would have to to be non-editable by the end user in order to have it hard coded.

Actually, if all this was hard coded it would be darn easy.

Regards
    James

Hi,

Actually in this case the list is populated with records from another form via a query, so I will explore the manual section to see if it helps. Thanks.

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by matty1965 View Post
    Hi,

Actually in this case the list is populated with records from another form via a query, so I will explore the manual section to see if it helps. Thanks.

Matty
    Matty,

Hope you'll find a better way. There's an easy solution to this, but I guest you need something more. I'll wait for more replies.

Thanks

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 03-01-14 at 10:05.

Hi,

Still stuck on this, what is the "easy solution" you mention?

Thanks

Matty

Hi Matty,

Here is the simple solution I am referring to. Please checked the attached file. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Ernie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mcmichael; 03-21-14 at 21:26.

Hi,

Thanks. Numbering isn't really going to work for me unfortunately as I have a series of drop downs where the content depends on the value of the previous selection (as in the country, region, city scenario - though more complex) and I am using queries to populate the drop-down content. I can't figure out any way to reference the drop down content once populated in this way.

What I really want to do is find whether or not there are values in the lists going down the hierarchy - sometimes there won't be - so that I can hide or otherwise change the subsequent drop downs so the user knows not to bother selecting the next level down. If that makes sense? But I have tried everything that is within my knowledge and can't come up with anything.

Matty

Hi,

For the country, state, city example you may create one folder for that data. Use query to scan all records in the selected country for the country drop-down menu, then use another query to scan all the records in the selected country and state for the state drop-down menu,and then use another query to scan all all the records in the selected country, state, and city for the city drop-down menu.

Thanks

Ernie

Hi,

Yes I already have the drop downs working fine in this way. But I now want to ask the question "Does this particular drop down have any values in it".

Matty

Hi,

I'm sure there's a reference value to that, but I am not sure if we have access to that data. Maybe, others have an idea.

Thanks

Ernie