Unanswered: dblink - void functions

Hi

Sorry for yet another post.

I'm trying to run a function from within another function using dblink, this is so I can create an autonomous transaction. My understanding is that PostgreSQL doesn't support autonomous transactions and this is the suggested workaround for this.

I can't seem to work this out and fire a function that returns a void

I'm very new to dblink so probably doing something very stupid! And if I've missed a trick do let me know!

my dblink code that sit within the function is as follows
    Code:
    PERFORM dblink_connect('dbconn','dbname=xxx user=xxx password=xxx');  
    PERFORM dblink_exec('dbconn','PERFORM public.usp_sendemailtemplate(''a65885ef-7904-4553-a6da-94041e98ff9c'', ''test'', 1, ''test2'');'); 
    PERFORM dblink_exec('dbconn','commit;');  
    PERFORM dblink_disconnect('dbconn');
    The signature for usp_sendemailtemplate is
    Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.usp_sendemailtemplate(p_apisessionid uuid, p_sessionid CHARACTER VARYING, p_websiteuserid BIGINT, p_templatedesc emailtemplatedesc)
     RETURNS void

quick explanation of why I want to do this in case someone can think of a better method!

Basically, if my function fails I want everything to roll back - which it does - fabulous.

I also want my function to send an email to the user detailing the issue. In order to do that I call another function which writes a row to an email queue table which gets processed and the email sent. Problem is that this row gets rolled back with the main transaction.

Took an awful lot of playing around but sorted it.

dblink code needs to be like this.
    Code:
    PERFORM * FROM dblink('dbname=' || dblink_database || ' user=' || dblink_username || ' password=' || dblink_password ||'', 'SELECT public.usp_sendemailtemplate(''' || p_apisessionid || ''', ''' || p_xojosessionid || ''', ' || user_websiteuserid || ', ''xxx'')') AS x(x TEXT);
    Nothing really out there on the forums/internet to answer this one so, hopefully, this helps others out.

The odd bit is the
    Code:
     AS x(x TEXT)
    even though the function returns a void, this only works if I set a text variable to store that void! Don't get that at all but this works!

(unless someone sees a better way I've missed!)