Thread: ID Number

Unanswered: ID Number

Hi
    I hope someone can help me please - I'm going round in circles on what should be the simplest of tasks but I cannot find a solution to it. Ive been through everything I can see in the forum to try to find an answer but I'm missing something. I'm pretty much a beginner for some concepts such as variables etc so go easy on me please

I have a main form for a product which has a serial number for each item - 1 item per record - and whenever I sell an item, I can open a new form to enter the buyers details.
    As a buyer might purchase more than one item at a time Ive created a relational link to allow me to add several items to the buyers record via a sub-form in the buyer form and then print out a receipt.
    All of this seems to work fine except that I want to be able to to see in the main form which transaction is associated with that particular item (to prevent me duplicating the sale) and also to search for a buyer or view a buyer by having a transaction ID on the main forms(s) which matches the same transaction ID on the buyer form.
    I know it should be something like using a record ID for each buyer or similar but I just cant see what I'm doing wrong or most probably missing!!!

Please put an end to my misery!!!!

Thanks in advance

Doug

Serial Numbers

Hi
    I answered my own question in the end. I could not get the RecordID field to update - it kept saying "Not Set" - but I discovered that there were some blank records that were causing the problem. Once these were deleted it worked as it should.

Hi Skruffe,

Record ID in a form is designed to increment by 1 whenever a new record is added. Each record of the same type will have a unique ID even if you delete some records. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 03-01-14 at 01:55.

ID Number

Thanks Ernie

I had figured it out as I said but I appreciate you coming back to me. It was existing records that were making it look as though the ID function wasnt working.
    Once again, thanks

Doug