Unanswered: Non Profit Organization In need of Data Entry solution

So I work for a Non-Profit company in Boston MA and we currently are having trouble centralizing our data gathering. Right now individuals are putting their data into specific excel sheets and then finally consolidating it. I was wonder if there are any possible solutions that could be free. I was looking into creating a form that users could enter into a version of Runtime Access all linked to SQL Server Express. Any input would be helpful because I am the only dealing with the data after its collected so there is not a lot of discussion going on.Thank you.

Provided Answers: 59
    well you could use forms with excel to capture the data (the advantage is that excel is widelyu availabel, downside is you can't really do mych un the way of validation. but you could send a db containing the validation data that the excle spreadsheet referes to

you could use an online from

distributing and maintaining an access runtime just to capture data in a form sounds overkill
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I reposted the same issue twice , please read the other post.
    Last edited by l3en0it; 03-05-14 at 12:57.

Well using excel was an issue because I felt like we are doing more work than needed. I was hoping that the Runtime would clear up the data validation issue plus it would be directly into the database so no import situation would need to take place. The users really struggle inputting the data into the their sheets and a form I believe would help them focus on make it easier for them. The runtime to my knowledge is only the application I create and nothing more so I don't believe it would be to intensive unless I am forgetting something. Money is definitely something that I need to keep in mind here when thinking of solutions. We would only have about 15-20 users I believe so deployment most likely could be handled by IT rather quickly. I do appreciate your responses.

Provided Answers: 14
    There are three important aspect to consider when you develop an application with Access:
    - The business core (what the application will do and how).
    - Error handling (what the application will do in case of error: incoherent data, unexpected situation, users error, anything you did not foresee...).
    - Interfaces: forms, reports, menus and/or ribbons, switchboard(s).

The last two are specially important when developing an application that will use the run-time because you cannot switch to the development tools (immediate window, code window, design mode...) and the standard interface of Access is not available in the run-time mode.
    Have a nice day!

I figured that access run time would be perfect due to the nature of the data entry only concept , this way the users can only have access to whats relevant to them ( data entry ) and no options to configure the actual databases. I was curious to see if adding My Sql Server express would add any benefit to the scenario as I have read that it could possibly boost performance and security.