Unanswered: Can I copy and share a BIGFILE tablespace?

What is the best way to share a copy of an Oracle 11g database with a team of developers? The goal is for each developer to have a copy of the same database on their local machine.

I was hoping that I could simply create a bigfile tablespace that's dedicated to the specfic database/schema (still struggling with terminology). I thought that I could then zip up the resulting .DBF file and share it with the team members and that they could then copy it to their local machine, extract the .DBF from the zip file and bring it online. Is that a realistic approach? I got the impression from a video that I'd watched that this could be done but it didn't provide any details and I've not found anything definitive as to how I can approach this process.

I thank you in advance for your help.
    Ken

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Is that a realistic approach?
    No.

tablespace & schema have NO direct relationship to each other.
    a schema can have objects in more than one tablespace
    a tablespace can contain objects from more than one schema

a) RMAN duplicate database & then restore
    b) expdp & impdp
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Thanks for the response anacedent. I'll research the options you offered. I certainly need to learn more about RMAN and the data pump; I'm new to Oracle. I was under the impression that the datapump will not include empty tables but I'm probably mistaken.

I hope you'll bear with my ignorance just a bit. While the approach I mentioned may not be a realistic approach I'm still curious to know if it would work. I understand that tablespaces and schemas do not have a direct relationship in theory, however, in practice there's nothing that would prevent a person from limiting a schema's footprint to a single tablespace that's contained in a single .DBF file. I'm still curious as to whether or not what I proposed could be done.

Again, my thanks for your input. I very much appreciate your help.
    Ken

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    read about DBID
    read about SCN
    both of above reside in each file header.
    do you know & realize that object metadata is stored in the SYSTEM tabespace?
    What would occur when tablespace of the source database contains an object not in the target daatbase?
    What should Oracle do when presented with a file that contains a different DBID & SCN than for the existing database?
    Last edited by anacedent; 03-06-14 at 12:47.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

read up on oracle transportable tablespaces. Use google. Lots of good examples
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.