Thread: Paradox 11

Unanswered: Paradox 11

I am giving this one more go. I used to use Paradox 5 but I have been forced to migrate to Paradox 11. When I wanted to combine the data from two tables in a single answer table using Paradox 5, I would do a double query, example the common column and put an exclamation mark after it. I would check all the boxes in the first table. In the second table, I would check all the boxes except the common item, which would be exampled. Then I would hit lightening. This does not seem to work under paradox 11. I hope that someone other than Steve Green will answer this, as he simply told me that the process under Paradox 11 is the same but he didn't know the hot keys. That I should go to Paradox Community and ask the same question. The problem is that Paradox Community wants a username and a password. It is clear that my dBforums username and password do not work, but it is also clear that finding a way to register for Paradox Community is all but impossible. I really need a solution to this question. Can someone please tell me how to do this? And don't refer me to Paradox Community. It does not work.

rod24,

I'm sorry but dBforums can't answer your questions. Your quandary with switching from Paradox 5 to Paradox 11 is answerable but we won't bother. Your problem with getting access to Paradox Community is also answerable, but we don't care. So what if your dBforums username and password don't work. You can't register for Paradox Community so you are stuck in hell, but that's exactly where dBforums wants you to be. We like playing with ourselves. That's what life is about. Help? Forget it.

Sincerely,

dBforums

Provided Answers: 54
    I haven't used Paradox since Borland sold it (a very long time ago), so I'm little or no help with the product.

I don't know anything about the "Paradox Community", but at first glance it appears to be a "zombie" website based on Mambo, DNews, and reMOSitory. There doesn't appear to have been any way to add a login there for at least five years, maybe more.

You might consider checking the Corel website for support. Since they still seem to sell Paradox, I would assume that they have some type of support organization.

If you want to know how the Ansa Paradox (MS-DOS 5) worked, I might still have a copy of that. I suspect that I still have my Borland disks somewhere, but I'm not sure that I have a machine still running Windows 95 (that's an interesting idea for VM if I ever have time to try it). I don't have a copy of Paradox 11, so I'm no help with that.

Oh by the way, your email demanding support for your Paradox problem just arrived. At least now I understand what you are writing about...

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Pat.. no, it's not a "zombie" site.. it's where the remaining Paradox users and developers have been hanging out for over a decade.. correct that the site hasn't been upgraded in years, but that's a tribute to the long-ago death of Paradox.. and, no, corel has been useless for any kind of Paradox support since they depricated it in 2002..

Rod.. sorry that you can't figure out how to do this, but try one of these things instead..

a) on that Support page, click on the "newsgroup" link, then click on the "postable HTML" link.. surprise, surprise, it works without a login..

b) if you use an e-mail reader that still has newsgroup support, such as Outlook or Windows Mail, use this link from my web site.. go down near the bottom, click the newsgroup link, see if your e-mail reader will set it up that way.. most of us still do it that way, cuz we've been doing it that way since the 90s :-)

Diamond Software Group - Links Page

c) I'm not trying to be rude, but you could use my previous comments as the basis for looking up the answer in the P-11 help files.. I had told you that the processes are still exactly the same, but the hot keys changed when Corel got their hands on it.. I remember that you can check the fields on the query form, and I think you can right-click a field and/or use the menu to get the example element in there

these might not each be the most wonderful, modern, up-to-date options, but they all work fine, in context.. you asked for help.. I'm trying to help
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

and on the Support page, further down, is "links to live groups"
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green View Post
    Pat.. no, it's not a "zombie" site.. it's where the remaining Paradox users and developers have been hanging out for over a decade..
    Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

I use the term "zombie website" to denote a site which may have once supported end-user logins and active participation/contribution but which has been either reduced to a small cadre of power users, a single administrator, or no-one. There are many "zombie" sites on the internet, many of which are quite active and vibrant in terms of content but they are "publish only" and not active communities.

I didn't mean to imply that the Paradox Community site was dead, but that it was no longer an active community seeking new members and content. This seems to fit perfectly with your description of how the site functions now.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks, Pat.. hadn't heard that term used in quite that manner before..

Paradox 11

I apologize for being stupid. I've never been on a site like this before. Hence, I spent an incredible amount of time trying to log in for Paradox Community. It is n't possible, nor is it possible apparently to register. Paul is correct in that it is a "zombie" in that sense.) Being able to use Paradox Community without loging in never crossed my mind. Not once.

Steve and I agree that Corel has completely abandoned Paradox. It may sell it but all it wants is money from someone who might acquire it without understanding how much it stands alone.

I have posted my problem with my migration from Paradox 5 to 11. I don't know what a "hot key" is. Steve says that a right click will "example" an item but F5 still does the trick, at least as far as turning an "a" red. Maybe that is not the thing to do under Paradox 11. The process is not exactly the same, however, as it no longer works. Thanks. rod24

paradox is a dead-end.. if you have options to move that stuff, whatever it is, to another platform, do it.. paradox will not be sold or upgraded, because the BDE engine itself was abandoned in 2002, too.. the world has moved on from desktop databases, unfortunately..

you already know what the "hot key" is, you just didn't know that expression.. F5 in your query, Ctrl-P to print in Windows, etc..

in pdoxDOS, the query hot keys were F5 example, F6 check, F2 run the query.. it's different hot keys in pdoxWIN, but the actual query behavior itself is exactly the same..

follow up in the newsgroup, not here..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Steve, I would migrate to another platform in a heartbeat if it were economically efficient. I have a single consulting project that I have used Paradox for since 1992. I don't know other DBs, and it wouldn't be worth it for me to put in the time and energy to learn something like Access. The person that I do this project for uses Access now, and he says that the "common knowledge" between the two is not that great. I need only to find out how to do one type of operation and I am good. Without it, I am as bad as the Lakers. I am hoping that someone else will know how to do this one operation. Thanks, Rod.

Liz and others are waiting for your reply in the newsgroup.. they don't hang out here in dbforums.. please describe exactly how you do your queries, and any error message or stopping point
    --

Oasis Trading Post