Thread: Dropdown lists

Unanswered: Dropdown lists

Hi
    Is there a way of creating a master drop-down list in one form so that when it is updated, the changes are shown in a drop-down list in another form?
    Ive tried a few things but none of them seem to work.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Doug

Hi Doug,

Maybe others have an idea. For now, using a folder as a source of the drop-down menus is another option.

Thanks

Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 03-07-14 at 18:36.

Provided Answers: 17
    A drop down list can only be based on itself, a list of records from a folder, or a query.

So ideally you would have a folder and inside that folder would be a simple form that contains a single text box. The contents of this folder can be use to populate the drop down list.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Doug
    If the conventional droplists are not suitable (limited to sources as mentioned by James), then there is a way to simulate a drop list in BD.
    What I have done is create a standard text field and add a script to the "enter" trigger.
    Now create a global variable user input list.
    This can be populated by whatever you need - very flexiable as can have any combination of static values, calculations and other variables. You have 2 otions as to display by a scrolling list or a menu style.
    Set the text field to this selected value from list and your set to go with 2 script lines.
    To improve the user experience create a button and attach to righthand side of field to give visual appearence of droplist (ideally a picture that looks like a BD droplist icon - anyone on forum handy at making icons?). Duplicate the script for this button so that user gets same result if they click button or press enter in field.

Might help someone get around a tricky requirement.
    Regards
    David

Provided Answers: 2
    Removed duplicated post above after expired login (some how got resent).
    Regards
    David
    Last edited by tamcind; 03-08-14 at 02:11. Reason: dup

Interesting idea David.
    Thanks
    Ernie
    Last edited by mcmichael; 03-08-14 at 01:17.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas, advice and suggestions.

The simplest way seems to be to create a new folder with a form as suggested and then query it to give me my desired results however I also like a challenge so I might also try the suggestion from David as an alternative (I have a couple of drop-downs with the same problem).
    Ive been staring at parts of this database for so long, I cannot sometimes see the wood from the trees!!

I should have realised that the simplest route was via a query but I got bogged down in my train of thought and nothing else was going to be right. Pays to step back and re-evaluate sometimes!!!!!

Most of my database experience has been with Access (in its many versions) with a scattering of others along the way. At first, I thought that Brilliant was going to be very restricted in its functionality, but I'm beginning to see just how powerful and easy to manipulate it could be. There are a lot of little short-cuts that are missing (eg the ability to select multiple fields and carry out certain tasks on all of them at the same time - I know you can do some things) but the whole concept behind it makes for easy development.

Once again, many thanks for all the help from all of you.

Doug