Unanswered: DB2 High Availability by using powerHA

Hi Folks,
    Anyone has comprehensive steps or good reference documentatiion to install and configuring DB2 database version 10.5 running on powerHA in active-passive environment ?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 55

Thanks Mark, the steps I gone thru is kind of active active setup which using the shared disk. Anyone has active passive setup ?

ckwan123,
    My Unix team uses PowerHA with active-passive shared disk database.
    as a dba I do the following steps to leave them the system ready in AIX.

1. install db2 and create the instance and the database on the active node.
    2. Install db2 on the passive node. Copy the db2 port info from the /etc/services on the active node. They have to match on both sides, along with the instance name. Note that since your passive node does not see the shared file system until it is failed over, you wont be able to create the instance. However, the information in the /etc/service file will do it once powerHA fails over.
    Power HA uses 2 script during the failover. One is to bring down db2 and clean up the processes (ipclean) before dismounting the resources and another to start db2 on the other server once the resources are mounted.
    My unix team manages the switches manually using smitty. Unfortunately I don't have access to that unix part.
    hope this help.
    Regard,
    Reynaldo

I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly.
    There is a description of namely active / passive shared disk cluster using PowerHA in the Redbook I mentioned above.
    Which type of cluster do you really need?
    If you need active / active then what for?
    ISAS/PDOA and pureScale both use TSA, not powerHA...
    Regards,
    Mark.

Hi Mark,
    thanks for reply. In fact what I want to setup in my environment here is active/passive HA. The Primary and target servers each has own SAN Storage. Any issues happen to primary server including SAN Storage will failover to target server. From this setup architecture, should I still follow the same steps ? if you look at the redbook chapter 3, there's step to importvg, do I need to perform this ?tq

Hi,

No, if your primary and standby have their own storage, then you should look at HADR.
    HADR takeover automation is described in the same book in 7.5 (PowerHA) or 7.3 (TSA).
    Regards,
    Mark.

Hi Again,
    To clarify clearer, we are using Storewiz Metro Mirror, do I still need to use powerHA ?
    Will it perform application transparent failover ?

Thanks.

Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by ckwan123 View Post
    Hi Again,
    To clarify clearer, we are using Storewiz Metro Mirror, do I still need to use powerHA ? Will it perform application transparent failover ?
    For this case you need PowerHA Enterprise Edition which have integration with storage replication. Transparency depends on whether your application is "failover-aware" or not