Unanswered: BUTIL startbu exits with errorcode 2

Hi all.

I use butil -startbu <FileList> / butil -endbu <FileList> to take a backup of my database between those commands.

Last night "butil -startbu" exited with errrorcode 2 and the backup process stopped. The temporary database files (^^^ as extension instead of MKD) have been created and, when I see the size and timestamp , also been used. Now I can't see how to end the continous operation I started with -startbu.

I tried to use butil -endbu against these files, but the temporary ^^^ are still there.

Now I need a solution to write the content of the ^^^ files back to the MKD files and be sure that the database engine doens't use the ^^^files anymore.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    Joe
    Last edited by JoeGa; 03-10-14 at 03:52.

Provided Answers: 4
    Can you post the exact error message that was returned?
    If you've issued the ENDBU command and the Delta Files (.^^^) are still there, you might need to open the files with Function Executor (or some other utility) and let the Delta Files roll in. It may take some time depending on the size of the Delta Files.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thanks for your reply.

The backup and therefore the BUTIL call was done by a .BAT file, which just logged the errorlevel. So no, I can't post the exact error message.
    In the meanwhile I realized that some of the .^^^ file disappeared after the database was in use again. For other table files I could do this just with executing a SELECT statement against these tables.

The only one I couldn’t get rid of yet is USER.^^^ (from USER.DDF). When I try to open this one with Function Executor I get the error message that this is not a valid MikroKernel file.

Anyway, I couldn’t find an option to let the delta files roll in. I think for now I’m quite fine but a hint to solve the problem if it occurs the next time would be appreciated.

With best regards
    Joe

Provided Answers: 4
    Glad you got it solved. Issuing the SELECT is the same as opening the file in Function Executor. There isn't a specific option for rolling in the Delta File but once the file is opened, the Delta Files roll in automatically.
    The ErrorLevel 2 from BUTIL means:
    INCOMPLETE_E = 2 Requested operation did not complete.
    I've never seen that error on BUTIL so I'm not sure what it means. You might try piping the output of the BUTIL command to a log file. It might show some more information.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.