Unanswered: DB2 WSE licensing gotcha... kinda

Hey all,

I'm at a newish customer site and we've just upgraded from 9.7 to db2 10.1 (Linux).

The site uses MQTs a LOT (mostly as a kind of buffer between a federated AS400 DB). I noticed that MQTs were removed from the WSE edition I think around v9.1? So these unlucky guys have unknowingly been in breach of thier license for a few years (bit of a gotcha).

The long term plan is to move to 10.5 Advanced (and leverage BLU and other cool features) but I'm wondering if they can simply apply the ESE license to the current 10.1 to become compliant and then use that license to move forward to 10.5 in the next upgrade cycle (6-12 months)

Thoughts?

Hi,

you should discuss it with IBM or an IBM Partner.

Quote Originally Posted by nvk@vhv View Post
    Hi,

you should discuss it with IBM or an IBM Partner.
    Yes the procurement people are doing that... I'm talking from a technical point of view. If we pay for the ESE licence can we apply it to the WSE install or do we need different install files, because we just completed a patching cycle and it'll be super hard to get another window anytiome soon.

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

Technically you are not able to install a license from a different DB2 edition. You will most likely get LIC1450I from 'db2licm -a'.
    You should install a ESE copy into some different directory and then run db2iupdt from this copy against your existing db2 instance.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by meehange View Post
    If we pay for the ESE licence can we apply it to the WSE install or do we need different install files
    IBM DB2 10.5 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Hey all,

I'm at a newish customer site and we've just upgraded from 9.7 to db2 10.1 (Linux).

The site uses MQTs a LOT (mostly as a kind of buffer between a federated AS400 DB). I noticed that MQTs were removed from the WSE edition I think around v9.1? So these unlucky guys have unknowingly been in breach of thier license for a few years (bit of a gotcha).

The long term plan is to move to 10.5 Advanced (and leverage BLU and other cool features) but I'm wondering if they can simply apply the ESE license to the current 10.1 to become compliant and then use that license to move forward to 10.5 in the next upgrade cycle (6-12 months)

Thoughts?
    Speak with your sales rep. Whilst true that MQT where removed from WSE in 9.1(?), you can use something called "grandfather option". Meaning that if you where using MQT's in WSE back in V8, you are entitled to continue using them in V9 and V10 (I believe this will run on forever, but not sure).
    --
    Lennart

Quote Originally Posted by lelle12 View Post
    Speak with your sales rep. Whilst true that MQT where removed from WSE in 9.1(?), you can use something called "grandfather option". Meaning that if you where using MQT's in WSE back in V8, you are entitled to continue using them in V9 and V10 (I believe this will run on forever, but not sure).
    How does this "grandfather option" work? Does IBM provide a license for free?

That's some excellent info... gonna pass the lead to legal/procurement for investigation, thanks!

Cheers, I'll look for similar for 10.1 (the main issue is getting another set of outage windows for all the servers [we've got like 20 servers and 25+ instances])

You don't need a specific licence, there is no soft or hard stop for Mqt. wse will do. In case of licence inspection, you will have to explain why you are using them. But, don't take my word for it, speak with your sales rep.

BTW, the same concern did apply to compressed backups before IBM separated backup and data compression.

You don't need a specific licence, there is no soft or hard stop for Mqt. wse will do. In case of licence inspection, you will have to explain why you are using them. But, don't take my word for it, speak with your sales rep.

BTW, the same concern did apply to compressed backups before IBM separated backup and data compression.
    Unfortenate I cant seem to find any official info regarding this, all I have is a mail in swedish from my sales rep. You will have to check with yours.
    --
    Lennart

We've talked to our rep, we're in violation.

My question was - since the MQTs are ONLY in the ESE license and above (10.1 or Advanced 10.5). Is it possible to become compliant WITHOUT installing new binaries or migrating instances (which=outages)?

We're trying to do thye right thing as quickly as possible, but getting an outage window is the hardest part (apart from the bill, of course :P)

The easiest remediation to become compliant would be to apply the ESE license to the currently installed WSE edition... if that were possible,.

We've talked to our rep, we're in violation.

My question was - since the MQTs are ONLY in the ESE license and above (10.1 or Advanced 10.5). Is it possible to become compliant WITHOUT installing new binaries or migrating instances (which=outages)?

We're trying to do thye right thing as quickly as possible, but getting an outage window is the hardest part (apart from the bill, of course :P)

The easiest remediation to become compliant would be to apply the ESE license to the currently installed WSE edition... if that were possible,.

I still don't have a link but I found some English info in my mail, the key issue seem to be whether you purchased your licence before July 28 2006 (I assume this is when V9 was released):

> If you purchased DB2 UDB V8 product for Linux, Unix or Windows
    > before July
    > 28th 2006, features and functions that were included in Version 8
    > of DB2 UDB are
    > still available for use in Version 9 of DB2 without any
    > requirement to purchase
    > additional Version 9 features
    > In General, the license terms for DB2 9 explicitly state that if your
    > support and
    > service contract is active and you purchased DB2 UDB Version 8 (prior to
    > the
    > general availability of Version 9 on July 28th) you can ignore the
    > compliance
    > report for functions that were available in Version 8. If you purchased
    > DB2 on or
    > after July 28th you must also purchase the appropriate feature to use the
    > functions listed below:
    > ? Materialized Query Tables (MQT)
    > ? Multi-dimensional Clustering (MDC)
    > ? Intraquery Parallelism
    > ? Backup Compression
    > ? Online Reorganization
    > ? Homogeneous Federation
    > ? Governor
    >

[...]

> In General, the license terms for DB2 9 explicitly state that if
    > your support and
    > service contract is active and you purchased DB2 UDB Version 8
    > (prior to the
    > general availability of Version 9 on July 28) you can ignore the
    > compliance
    > report for functions that were available in Version 8. If you
    > purchased DB2 on or
    > after July 28th you must also purchase the appropriate feature to
    > use the
    > ? Backup Compression
    > ? Governor
    --
    Lennart

I still don't have a link but I found some English info in my mail, the key issue seem to be whether you purchased your licence before July 28 2006 (I assume this is when V9 was released):

> If you purchased DB2 UDB V8 product for Linux, Unix or Windows
    > before July
    > 28th 2006, features and functions that were included in Version 8
    > of DB2 UDB are
    > still available for use in Version 9 of DB2 without any
    > requirement to purchase
    > additional Version 9 features
    > In General, the license terms for DB2 9 explicitly state that if your
    > support and
    > service contract is active and you purchased DB2 UDB Version 8 (prior to
    > the
    > general availability of Version 9 on July 28th) you can ignore the
    > compliance
    > report for functions that were available in Version 8. If you purchased
    > DB2 on or
    > after July 28th you must also purchase the appropriate feature to use the
    > ? Backup Compression
    > ? Governor
    >

[...]

> In General, the license terms for DB2 9 explicitly state that if
    > your support and
    > service contract is active and you purchased DB2 UDB Version 8
    > (prior to the
    > general availability of Version 9 on July 28) you can ignore the
    > compliance
    > report for functions that were available in Version 8. If you
    > purchased DB2 on or
    > after July 28th you must also purchase the appropriate feature to
    > use the
    > ? Backup Compression
    > ? Governor
    IBM later backed out of the backup compression thing and made that generally available regardless of licence
    --
    Lennart

IBM later backed out of the backup compression thing and made that generally available regardless of licence
    Finally found it:

DB2 Database for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    --
    Lennart