Unanswered: How to retrieve table schema using SQL Server

Hi Everyone,

I am more familiar with writing SQL for Oracle than MS SQL Server. Within Oracle there is a simple command, 'Describe', which actually shows the data types, and whether or not an attribute accepts NULLS.

MS SQL Server does appear to support such a command, however I am looking for a way to describe the attributes of tables nonetheless.

If anybody can share some wisdom in this area it will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David

Provided Answers: 54
    The preferred method is to use the information schema views. I would attach a URL link but I'm on a cell phone and can't get one in here.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I have since gotten onto the following command -

exec sp_help 'tablename'

The above is answering 90% of what I needed to know.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Provided Answers: 54
    A much closer match would be the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS view. All columns of all tables and views are available, and can be manipulated like any other result set. To find information about table fubar, you would use:
    Code:
    SELECT *
       FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
       WHERE  'fubar' = TABLE_NAME
    -PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Microsoft SQL Management Studio 2012 useful feature

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that when using the * (wildcard) along with a table name it is possible to hover ones mouse over the * and see a list of important attributes (columns) displayed along with their key characteristics.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/icpixw.jpg

I hope that this pointer helps other users of Microsoft SQL Management Studio 2012.

Kind Regards,

Davo