Question Unanswered: Setting enviornment Variables for starting database server

i installed Informix Development edition successfully.i set $INFORMIXDIR to /opt/IBM/informix .i set $INFORMIXSQLHOSTS to /opt/IBM/informix/etc/sqlhosts .after when i run command ./oninit from bin folder its gave me error

Warning: could not access INFORMIXSQLHOSTS /opt/IBM/informix/etc/sqlhosts.

there is no file exist sqlhosts.i want to know what will be the content of sqlhosts file or it will be a simple blank file ??i installed Informix 11.70 on Ubuntu 13.10 32 bit .Please guideline .

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

the default value of INFORMIXSQLHOSTS is $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts. If you want to use this file name, there is no need to specify this env variable
    If the sqlhosts file is not existing, you can create it like this
    Code:
    cp $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts.std $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts
    to start the server you need to do like this:
    Code:
    export INFORMIXDIR=/opt/IBM/informix/
    export INFORMIXSERVER=your_ifmx_instance_name
    export ONCONFIG=your_onconfig_file
    export PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH
    INFORMIXSERVER is the value you have declared in the ONCONFIG file for the DBSERVERNAME parameter.

the sqlhosts file must contain at least one line for the value of INFORMIXSERVER you have set, like this
    Code:
    your_ifmx_instance_name    onsoctcp     your_hostname   your_service_name
    your_hostname is the hostname where the server is sitting
    your_service_name is the service name of the informix port you declared in /etc/services

Did you create the instance during the install script ?
    If not, you will have to deal with the ONCONFIG file which is the key configuration file for your instance.

you may want to look at this article which will summarize and explain all those steps.

Informix is easy to administrate, but thee is a minimum that must be done at the beginning. Don't forget what you have in your hands can handle BIG DATA with the MongoDB driver with sharded queries in heterogeneous servers, so it has to be somewhat longer to install than MS Access, mySql or similar toys :-)

Follow the document and you will get there
    Eric