Unanswered: opening form as pop-up

Hi

Is it possible to click a button and have a form open in a pop-up where I can then enter data? I know you can open a record as a pop-up but that is not what I am thinking off.

Thanks

Matty

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Matty
    Do you mean something like enter data in a "form variable" which is a form that has the appearence of a blank record but is not bound to database. You can use this data as needed in scripts.
    Regards
    David

It would be for a series of linked drop down lists which are populated with records. I would then want to use the selection to amend current record.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Matty.
    Can you please explain in a little more detail so I can get a better idea of this?.

It's possible to create new records in a popup, edit existing ones, or even open a number of records in a single popup.

Regards
    James

Hi James,

Currently, I have a form for recording details about an item. For each item I have to assign it to a category. To do this I currently have five drop down fields on the item form, each one is populated with records from a category form and they represent different levels of the category hierarchy. Once the the correct category is selected using the drop downs I click a button "Set Category" which then updates a category field for the item.

Rather than having the five drop downs cluttering up the item form, I was thinking that I would prefer to have a button called "choose category". When that was clicked a form would open in a pop-up showing the five drop down fields. The category would then be chosen and an OK button clicked. This would close the pop-up and update the category field for the item.

I hope that makes sense?

Cheers

Matty

Great, now I understand.
    Are you using the SDK edition ?

I have an idea but I need to check to be sure it will work. If it does, for sure it will only work in the SDK edition.

Regards
    James

Hi,

No I'm not using the SDK version at the moment. I did buy it last year but then got a refund as it was during the time when there were numerous bugs stopping me achieving what I needed to, and we were getting little or no response from BD. Thankfully things have improved since then. I can still test out your idea using the trial download though (hopefully?).

Cheers

Matty

Hi Matty.
    Sorry for not getting back to this. My workload went crazy here for a while.

If a “User Input” popup box could be customised to look anyway we wanted, you could use that as a means to allow the end user to make the necessary selections and when they are complete, the necessary selected value gets populated into your form.

But as you know, Brilliant Database doesn't allow you to customise that User Input popup box.

So... lets think outside the box here.

Lets say you create a new form that has “ONLY”the options you want the end user to select from. And you have this record sitting in a folder named hidden.

In the SDK edition, you can compile your database and have this folder completely invisible. No need to set permissions or have any login levels.

So, on your visable form the end user has selected, they press a button called "Set Category", which calls up the hidden record in the hidden folder in a popup window.

The end user makes their selections, and when they are complete, the value selected gets populated into a variable, which then gets populated into the visible selected record.

So in short, your basically using a hidden record in a Popup windows to pretend it's a GUI interface for setting a value in the selected record the end user is working with.

Does that make sense ?

Regards
    James

Hi,

That's great thanks. Presumably this will work fine in the non SDK version, just that the folder and record will be visible?

Cheers

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by matty1965 View Post
    Hi,

That's great thanks. Presumably this will work fine in the non SDK version, just that the folder and record will be visible?

Cheers

Matty
    Yep.

James.

Provided Answers: 1
    i did not read the whole discussion but... what i do is this..

0. i create a form and folder with the information that i need to be stored
    1. i create a form just to capture the info i need... and in that form i include a button with the word "save", and in that button i do this.

a) check the integrity of the information captured in the form
    b) create a new record with the option "just create a new record" and also in the "create new record wizard" i store the new record in a variable called "new record"
    c) i asignt every single field from the capture form to a variable (field1 to a variable1, vield2 to a variable2 and so on)
    d) i "change the empty information" in the blank created record with the information stored in the variables.

( i hope i am clear about it)

then at the end of the script you have a new record with the exact information of the "capturing" form...

at the end of the routine, use "close window" so the capturing form window closes.

so at the end you have an "Capturing form" that can be different to the information you "save" in other records folder.

it is time consuming but in this way you have total countrol over the forms and the information you store.