Unanswered: OverFlow Error Message

Hello ,

I am having an issue with a report I built. With in my report I am getting an OVERFLOW error and I believe its due to me ocassionally having division 0/0. This does not always happen but sometimes at the beginning of a month I run a report that does not have any data for a certain field. Any input?

Provided Answers: 19
    Division by Zero is not allowed in Access, but that pops an Error 11. Overflow Errors are generally caused when a number exceeds the limit of the FieldSize assigned to the Field. You could have Fields whose Values are fine, by themselves, but when using them in calculations, are exceeding the limits of the resultant Field.

If you enter FieldSize Property in Access Help you'll get a list of the limits for each Field Size.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

All of the values I deal with currently are under 32,000 so I assign everything as a Single, I guess what I was looking for was if I know I am going to have zeros in my data , I know its going to mess up my process/report. I really need to find a solution to the dividing by zero problem because its going to happen every so often and it really throws a stick in my Microsoft Access tire lol. I laugh even though I have tried twisting my mind around this all day.

Provided Answers: 59
    Consider using an iif statement to assign the value to a control
    Or do the calculation in code in the detail on format event
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you for your Response(Linq) and Healdem I was thinking if I put a statement like that saying iif table.field = null then insert "blank" or "no value" into the existing box. But I was figuring I would get a data type mismatch because it was a number field and It would be inputting text. Have you ever done/heard of replacing null/zero values with something other than a number. Would the the following work?

IIF([Table.Field]) < 1
    then result = "No value"
    else
    result = ([Table.Field])
    end if
    Last edited by l3en0it; 03-25-14 at 10:54. Reason: Update

Here is a snapshot of what the actual report looks like when its fully functioning and I don't have any issues with the data including zeroes. Now I currently have all of the control sources to the graphs/pie charts connected directly to the tables that have the data. Now I was wondering how I should ago about getting the number values inside the boxes next to the chart. I currently have a large append query that takes all of the tables and compiles them into one table and I use that table as the record source. Would I have to create an expression to look at every [Table.Field] itself or can I put an IF statement to occur on all objects with in the report. I am sorry if I am explaining it poorly I am caught up on this issue and have been looking at it for too long and need an outside opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chart1.png