Thread: Recipe database

Recipe database

Hello everybody,
    I'm chef in a restaurant and I would like to set up a database for my recipes. I've also found tons of recipes on the Internet, all in different formats. I would like to write simple notes in .txt and then import them in the database. One good program I found is AnyMeal for Linux, but it's no longer available (I have it in a virtual machine in a very old distro). If I wanted to make my own program from scratch, what would I need to know/learn? I'd like to be able to scale the recipes and also to do cross-searches. I installed KRecipes, but it can't handle recipes which have not been written strictly for MealMaster and it can't handle big databases (I found 27.000 recipes on a web site but it won't work).
    I'm sorry if I explained myself so bad, thanks in advance.

Recipe database

Hello everybody,
    I'm chef in a restaurant and I would like to set up a database for my recipes. I've also found tons of recipes on the Internet, all in different formats. I would like to write simple notes in .txt and then import them in the database. One good program I found is AnyMeal for Linux, but it's no longer available (I have it in a virtual machine in a very old distro). If I wanted to make my own program from scratch, what would I need to know/learn? I'd like to be able to scale the recipes and also to do cross-searches. I installed KRecipes, but it can't handle recipes which have not been written strictly for MealMaster and it can't handle big databases (I found 27.000 recipes on a web site but it won't work).
    I'm sorry if I explained myself so bad, thanks in advance.

You would find that modeling recipes in a database is a very challenging task.
    I strongly encourage you to look for off-the-shelf software, rather than reinventing the wheel.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com