Provided Answers: 2

Unanswered: Blank Lines Appearing in Many-to-Many Relational Field

New day, new problem! I am using a Many-to-Many Relational Form to display a certain number of records within a folder. Depending on the circumstances and user preferences, these results are filtered based on certain parameters (for example, only those with positive activity or those designated as critical activities). The first time I run the script after opening Brilliant Database the Many-to-Many Relational Form shows the proper information; however, subsequent activation of the script results in numerous blank lines appearing in the Many-to-Many Relational Field (see attached screenshot). Within my scripting, I clear this field, then change the relational field value, and, finally, refresh the field... yet the blank lines still appear on any additional running of the script. If I double click on one of the blank lines (typically, double clicking will open up that particular record), I receive a runtime 9 error and Brilliant Database immediately closes. Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, how can this problem be corrected?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mmr issue.jpg  
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    Between the record count in your other thread not matching the actual count, and now blank lines being displayed, I wonder if this is all still just limited to the fact your using v10.5 and not the latest v10.54B.

Regards
    James

James,
    You are probably right. I frequently use the Many-to-Many Relational Field and have never seen this problem before. I pulled a copy of my project from three days ago and deleted those same records and, luckily, this time, I did not have the same problem with the record count. This evening will be spent recreating all the script changes/additions that I have done over the lat three days to see if the invalid record count has anything to do with the latest issue with the Many-to_Many Relational Field.

Do you see what happens when you are away for a few days??? Things quickly run amok! I am certainly glad to see that you are back again!

Isn't 10.54 still just in Beta?
    Last edited by fireant911; 04-08-14 at 19:05. Reason: added note bout 10.54
    Daryl G

After reworking my script I have further pin-pointed the problem but I am unable to fix it. The issue is that the Many-to-Many Relational Field is not clearing as it should. I am using the 'clear field' command followed by the 'refresh field' and orphan blank lines still exist in the Many-to-Many Relational Field.

I have tried all the tricks that I know but these blank lines still will not clear. Oddly, after closing the project and re-opening it, blank lines are still in existence in the Many-to-Many Relational Field (this is even before running the scripts). See screen shot below - problem area is to the right of the red arrow. If I double click on any of those blank lines, I still receive the 'Run-time error '9' subscript out of range' and the program closes (see second screenshot).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mmr blank.jpg   mmr error.jpg  
    Daryl G

Any chance you can email your database to me so I can take a look?

Regards
    James

James,
    It is in your mailbox.
    Daryl G

Update. A possible solution may be that I used two individual Many-to-Many Relational Forms and used the default 'Relational Set' of 'Primary' for both. After changing the 'Relational Set' to unique values for each Many-to-Many Relational Field, the blank lines immediately disappeared from the Many-to-Many Relational Forms (previously, these blank lines remained after closing and re-opening Brilliant Database). All appears to be well now though I am hoping that James Tubbritt can confirm my diagnosis and solution to this issue.

On a similar note, I do not understand when and why and new 'Relational Set' is required. Can the experts here explain the proper use and change requirements for 'Relational Set' and Many-to-Many Relational Forms?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mmr solution.jpg  
    Daryl G

Confirmed here, and sent you back an email.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    On a similar note, I do not understand when and why and new 'Relational Set' is required. Can the experts here explain the proper use and change requirements for 'Relational Set' and Many-to-Many Relational Forms?
    I have always assumed that you need a new Set if you have more than one many to many relationship between the same record types/forms.

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by matty1965 View Post
    I have always assumed that you need a new Set if you have more than one many to many relationship between the same record types/forms.

Matty
    Yep, the "relation set" must be unique if you have more than one many to many on the same form.

Regards
    James.

Matty and James,
    Thanks. I have some 'cleaning up' to do!
    Daryl G