Unanswered: Connecting to SQL Server while on VPN

I am using an Access 2000 project as the front end and SQL Server 2000 as the back end. I am using Cisco's Quick VPN for the VPN connection. I can ping the server's address while on VPN. I can also telnet port 1433 while on VPN. I cannot get my Access Project to connect to the SQL Server. When I open the project and enter my username and password, I am getting the following error...[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied. If it helps, while in the Access project, if I go to "File" and "Connection", the server does not get populated in the drop down box. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help.

Eric

Provided Answers: 6
    try using the IP address in your connection string instead of the servername.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I have tried entering just the ip address:

Is there more to it? \\192.168.0.164\servername?

Provided Answers: 54
    Ah-ha!

192.168.0.164 is a Private IP address, it will not route.

The Cisco QuickVPN Setup isn't very technical, but it says that local names (such as your SQL Server name) aren't permitted, that QuickVPN doesn't support customization, and it implies that local addresses can't be routed using QuickVPN (although it doesn't explicitly say that).

You can probably set up one of the more sophisticated VPN products and run your application unchanged. You could RDP to a machine running in your office, and use almost everything (not just this MS-Access application) "as is" with much less time and confusion.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

PatP - Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you have a recommendation for a VPN product that would be easy to configure and use? This is my first time using VPN and QuickVPN seemed like the easiest and most logical choice. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Provided Answers: 54
    That's actually a much larger question than it appears to be at first.

If you have someone handling your network/security/etc. issues, they ought to be your first resource for questions like this. They understand your user base, your existing needs, and should have some insight into expected future needs.

If you don't have anyone doing that task now, we can work through the details but I'll need a lot more insight into how many people, how disparate (different in degrees of computer experience, location, bandwidth, etc.), what your organizations needs are today and what can be reasonably expected over the next 30 months or so. After I understand those things, I may discover a few more that are needed to help you make the choice.

This isn't rocket science, and much more of the information needs to come from you and your organization than from a technician or dealer. The problem is getting you a good fit which is easy to do if money or patience are unlimited, but those are usually scarce commodities!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

PatP - Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for my Dad's birthday. Thank you again for your continued input and assistance. What I am looking for is the easiest and most secure way I can access my Access/SQL program while travelling. I currently have internet access restricted at my office to just my laptop. Nothing else has internet access, including my SQL Server. VPN was appealing to me because it allowed me full access to all shares and was fast. I have also been told it is very secure. Remote Desktop was not very appealing to me because of my prior experiences with LogMeIn and PCAnywhere. Of course, things may have changed for the better, but they have always been clunky to me. If something strikes you as a solution, please do let me know.